Rosco

transmission oil leaked out on both sides of the axles

Rosco
the parking pawl looks great I suck at taking picture still trying to find bearings  Edited by Rosco

Rosco

1446384403365.jpg

Parking brake looks good still trying to find bearings

• Like 1

gwest_ca

I wonder if there is any merit in placing a magnet inside the case where it could collect filings from the return oil and not be bothered by internal gears. The 1/8" x 1" rare-earth button magnets are very strong and the strength is increased when attached to an iron surface. Seems to me it would increase pump and motor life.

I placed one inside a 3-speed trans many years ago but have never had to open it back up to see the results.

Garry

• Like 1

Rosco

I will give the magnet idea try if  and when I can find the bearing

Rosco

Has any tried oil impregnated bronz bushings Instead of the 1533 bearing ??? I will take the other side of the trains off this weekend. I will let you all know if the bushing works out.

stevasaurus

Did you ever try to contact Mike (racinfool40) for the #1533 bearings???  If you are going to try bronze, we want pictures and information.  :)

• Like 1

Rosco

I am going to try the oil impregnated bronze bushings if this works I'll let you know I have plenty extra I had to buy a six inch piece and then cut half inch slugs off of it will send pics

1447358854973-1323561753.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I suppose oil can get to the outer axle bearings through the differential along the axle, but will it be enough??  :eusa-think:

Rosco

I'm thinking about cutting a groove in the bushing for oil some of the experts I talked to said I wouldn't need to because this is an oil impregnated bushing

You're talking about the outer needle bearings good point back to the drawing board

stevasaurus

Not so fast.  The #5003 and #5010 transmissions used bronze sleeves in those transmissions for both the differential carriage and the outer axles.  There must have been just enough clearance (slop) to let oil seep through.  It was not the best design, but it did work and oil got to the outer sleeve.  It might be enough to just pack the outer needle bearings with grease and call it good...you may want to do that anyway.  Maybe some small holes drilled in these bearings you are making will do it. 
To test my transmissions that I work on...I put the trans on a table and I have a 1/3 hsp electric motor that I clamp to one end.  Put on a fan belt and plug it in.  You want the trans input pulley to run counter-clockwise.  This saves a lot of time doing something like you are...rather then mounting the trans on and off the horse. 
I'm not sure how good this is either, but I think it will work for horses that are used for shows, and hauling grand kids around for sure.  Is it good enough for workers???  I think it is worth taking a good look.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut

If this works out as well as you expect you could become a Vendor here. I know that the 10 W 30 in a hydro will splash around pretty good, not too sure a manual transaxel would do so well unless you went to the 40 weight motor oil called for in the older owner manuals. :twocents-02cents:

Rosco

I plan on giving this machine to my son he's going to use it with snow blower this winter that should test at transmission. I have a barn find not sure what model it is looks like it has a 2 1/2 hp Owens on it . l will pull it on to the garage his should make for a good winter project.

• Like 2

953 nut

. I have a barn find not sure what model it is looks like it has a 2 1/2 hp Owens on it . l will pull it on to the garage his should make for a good winter project.

:wwp:    Please post some pictures of the "Barn Find" as a new thread, we love strange stuff and chances are someone will know what it is.     :text-bravo:

Rosco

On a side note does anyone have a picture showing how to run the drive belt past the idler pulley