Digger 66

EFI Conversion

bmsgaffer

I've kicked it around in my head plenty of times. I have the ability, just not the $$ (or time).

Once I looked into all teh complicated details, and the costs involved I was leaning more towards swapping in a Kohler EFI engine as these would be WAY more efficient as they are designed for it. Changing an old engine to EFI can only gain you so much economy before you run into the engines design limitations.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/efi/engines.htm (click on "Horizontal" on the left bar)

(With the price of the kit, you are 1/3 of the way to a brand new EFI ECH630, plus whatever resale value is in your existing engine)

Racinbob

That is a pretty slick kit and it would be fun but I'm seeing the cost too. Also, that particular kit is only for up to about 18 cu in. It's even more $$ for a larger motor.

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Now you had to go and post a link.... lol Pretty cool. It would surely make for a fun project. I have to agree though about how far you could utilize it. Which I am sure you already know. I already see the new decals being made. C-160 EFI.    A cool factor for sure and I say go for it, even if its just to say you can....

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

My post sounded like a downer, but i forgot the last line:

Either way you go TRY IT, it would be freaking sweeet! :handgestures-thumbupright:

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE FUEL INJECTION IN MY 1054 W/H. I PUT A DIESEL IN IT.    RUSS

• Like 2

Fordiesel69

The flathead is the limitation, not so much the fuel system. Although it would make it run cleaner for sure.  Power increase..........not sure how much, but probably a little.

I like to use the 300 Inline Six ford for example, the fuel system was the bottleneck.  The end cylinders got differnt air/fuel mix than the two directly by the carb.  A multiport 6 injector kit, and the right setup would breath new life to that old tractor engine.

• Like 1

WHX??

Really BM..... quit bein a stick in the mud.......now yer tallkin.......:auto-layrubber:

• Like 1

wrightorchid

25hp for about $2500 is pretty steep, but I would guess on par, since many of the commercial mowers and such that use these are $6-9K.

bmsgaffer

Its expensive sure, but I don't think all that out of line for the engine size and technology. Those are 'top of the line' engines that use less fuel than a much lower hp counterpart and can start quickly in almost any conditions. Very tempting when repowering.

I would like to see how efficient you can make an Onan P220 or K-341 with that EFI conversion (with turbo? :auto-dirtbike:) but you are talking some $$$ for that and you hopefully will have an engine that's not worn out already to put it on!

What I DO see happening in the not too distant future is a plug and play EFI kit for the HF 22hp predators. That would be a pretty slick setup and with a few internal upgrades to have a bolt on turbo....