TDF5G

New guy

TDF5G

Howdy.  New guy here.  Signed up a while back.  Finally took some time to poke around here today.   Just did my first post today after discovering and ordering Straight From The Horse's Mouth book.  Looking forward to reading it.

I was born in 1963.  My dad started buying WH tractors about 1960.  He sold new Chevys and Buicks.  He and the local WH dealer traded business.  So he had a new tractor every couple of years and the dealer had a new Chevy every few years.  So I've grown up around them and have a fondness for them to this day.  

I got my first one, a .68 Commando when I was 24-25.  Soon after I bought a '77 B80 in 1994 and still use it to mow and push snow.  

I've recently purchased a '77 B100 project to get the mower deck as mine is rusting out.  It needs some putting back together as the engine was overhauled several years ago and the owner passed away before getting it running.  I've just ordered some missing parts to get it running.  May need some help and advice before too long.   

Thanks, Todd

• Like 4

KC9KAS
:WRS:  If you spent time lurking here, you know we need photos of your GT's!! :happy-jumpeveryone:
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

:greetings-wavingyellow:    Todd...    :handgestures-salute:
:WRS:

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Welcome! Interesting story.

• Like 1

JPWH

Welcome to RS

953 nut
:WRS:   Love to have members with a family connection to Wheel Horses. 

TDF5G

Thank you for the welcomes.  I'll have a bit more interesting WH story connection to tell in a few months.  Stay tuned. :)

Sparky

Mike.........

bowtieguy

Hey Todd...welcome aboard...my kind of guy....faded red tractors and bowties.....can't be all bad!!....I'm probably in your back yard so call me when you need some help.....or maybe a "project tractor"......bet I can fix ya right up!!.....(I like tractor and bowtie trades, too))

TDF5G

I may do that, Frank.  Thank you.

Parts are slowly arriving for the B100.   I'm getting anxious to fire 'er up!

JC 1965

Hello Todd and :WRS:

TDF5G

Parts arrived Saturday.  Got 'er running. 

Edited by TDF5G
Tried to attach short video.
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
:wwp:

TDF5G

I'm at work. I can't get the video to attach.  I shot a 30 sec video of it running right after it fired up.  

All I have is this pic the day I brought it home.  The hood wasn't attached and the engine wasn't bolted down and you can see the cables, fuel line and coil on the foot rest. PTO parts and points & cover were in a box.  The crank pulley and the retainers were missing along with the points push rod.  As was the pto hub thrust bearnig, washers, & spring.  

It didn't fire right off.  The fuel shutoff was clogged up with rust, but the tank was clean.  Had to readjust the points and she fired right up.  Need to fine tune a few things.  

Hopefully, I'll sharpen the blades and check out the deck and try out some mowing in the next day or two. 

B100.JPG

• Like 1

TDF5G

Gotta share a story with y'all. It's kind of ironic you might say.

Last Sunday after church a few of us guys were discussing WH tractors, (many of the older generations have owned them in my area)  my uncle, my dad, another guy and myself.

My dad bought a new '68 Commando from the local dealer circa 1968, traded in on a new 12 HP around 1973.  The dealer sold the '68 to a local guy named Johnny, who lived next to my uncle's gas station (same uncle mentioned above).  Johnny used the tractor for a few years and then my uncle bought it from him and used it for many years, sold it to me, I had it about a year or so, and sold it to my neighbor.   Dad figured out his '68 was the same one I had!  OMGosh! :o  We didn't realize it until last Sunday.

To add to the irony,  my neighbor still lives there by me and he is also my current boss at my job.  I gotta ask him if he still has the tractor. Sold it to him about 20 years ago.  He's been out this week, but he's here at work today.  Gotta find out, I reckon.  It's been busy here today, not had time for chit chat.

The small world of Wheel Horses.:)

slammer302

Hopefully he still has it! A commando 8 was my first horse and i still have it 

TDF5G

Talked to my boss/neighbor yesterday afternoon.  He sold it many years ago.  He doesn't remember who bought it.:(

TDF5G

I've had trouble getting the B100 to idle smooth and the governor "hunts" as they say.  Had to adjust the choke with the throttle to get it to run smoothly at various RPM.  Just messed with it a few times when I had the chance.  I'd warm it up and twiddle with the carb set screws.  I decided to clean the carburetor so I ordered a carb kit.  

It was raining Saturday morning, (or I'd a went to a swap meet) so I pulled the carb off and saw this (see attached pic).  Someone slipped up putting the carb back on after the overhaul.  Put a new gasket on and now she runs real sweet!  It idles good and smooth now and the governor seems to be happy.   I like easy fixes!  A lot of times it's just something simple, ain't it?   I was so happy I took it for a ride in the rain!  :greetings-clappingyellow:

b100 carb oops.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

TDF5G

Sunday after church, the topic of Wheel Horses came up again.  One of the fellers said he had an old 12 HP, if I needed any parts. He had bought it years ago for the engine, in case his '72 Raider 12 gave up .  He said I could have anything but the engine and transmission. So I got the hood with lights and some knobs.  My B100 will get lights now.  But he wouldn't let me have the light switch.  I can't figure why unless he thought he might need it someday.  His Raider has headlights.  

12 hp hood 002.JPG

12 hp parts.JPG

• Like 1

can whlvr
  • Like 1

TDF5G

Sorting out pics today and I realized I never did post these when I intended to.  More pics of the B-100 I got this summer.  I'm hoping to get her cleaned up, install the lights,and try her out pushing snow this winter.
Too many other projects are getting in my way.  I've got the dishwasher torn apart right now. :(

B100 013.JPG

B100 010.JPG

B100 011.JPG

B100 012.JPG

B100 014.JPG

JULY 15 001.JPG

JULY 15 004.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

TDF5G

We like pics on the RS so here's some more I found for ya! :woohoo:

B-100 UPDATE:  She runs great now after carb tweaking last fall.  Got 'er cleaned up and did maintenance on it.   Replaced foot rest pads with skid treads that I found at Lowe's cut down to original size.  Replaced missing Tach-A-Matic and lift handle plunger rod caps.  Swapped rear tires and wheels for larger 23-850s from my C-105 and installed chains and wheel weights.  Installed headlights and added tailights.  Put on a WH highback seat.   Attached the dozer blade and waiting for some white stuff now.  We've only had 5" total for the season so far.  I'd like to try it out now in a good 6-8" accumulation! :D

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2655.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2667.JPG

headlight housing front.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2670.jpg

Edited by TDF5G

TDF5G

Video when I got it running last summer.  I stuck that piece of wood between the muffler and fuel line temporarily until I was ready to clamp it down. 

B100_AFTER_CARB_FIX.MOV

Edited by TDF5G