junkyarddog55

transaxle models

junkyarddog55

Hello I'm new to the wheel horse and wanting to try to build a puller I just got 2 tractors for a good price and need parts for transaxle for one. Where do I look for a number to ID what type transaxle I have and where do I get parts.  

chorusguy

Not sure where to get parts but somebody will be able to help with that.  As it happens I was looking for similar information.  I looked under the manuals section and looked up the sundstrand maintenance manual and it told which models used which sundstrand transmission.  Don't know whether you have a manual or hydrostatic but perhaps you can find info there.  In the meanwhile you should list the model you are working on so other members can give you good info.  They will want to know

bmsgaffer

Some parts are still available from Toro resellers, others you will just have to find gently used on eBay or from people here. We have some transmission experts on here that I am sure will stop in once you get us some more details and even pictures.

Let us know what model tractors you have, if it has high low shifter (which would = eight speed) and measure the axles. You could have 1" or 1.125" (1 1/8") axles.

There are no numbers on the transaxle usually, just the model number of the tractor... Which could be in several different places depending on the year. First if there are any decals. Then look for a metal tag under the dash or on the side of the dash tower, if not then a sticker tag under the seat on the fender.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

WELCOME TO RED SQUARE  :)  Click on these links...the first one tells you what transmission came with what horse...the second one is the manual for all of the manual Wheel Horse transmissions, and will tell you what differentials are in which trannys.  :)  This information is in the Manuals section.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2196-chart-wheel-horse-master-model-list-12-pagespdf/

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/category/23-manual/

• Like 1

junkyarddog55

What I  have is a T656 manual transmission 

Racinbob

What model tractor do you have? Picture maybe? I'm thinking you may not have a Unidrive transmission.

slammer302

i believe he said its a 656 

Racinbob

I don't know slam. He said a T656 transmission. That's not a Unidrive number. :eusa-think:

bmsgaffer

I think a comma was missed in there... A T656, WITH a manual transmission.

But what you have is a 3 speed transmission on a 1966 wheel horse, a fairly collectable tractor. I would NOT recommend pulling with that.

• Like 1

Racinbob
:eusa-doh::oops: Yea, you're probably right Brandon.
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Yes, it is a 656 with a #5053 transmission...pretty much like a #5025 trans.  It's got a Tecumseh H60 on it...if it is correct.  This is not what you want for a pulling tractor.  Nothing wrong with the tranny...3 speed, uni-drive, with a 4 pinion differential and 1" axles.  Let me ask you this....have you done much pulling before ...or just getting into it???  You may want to look for a horse that has a Kohler on it and maybe an 8 speed transmission, 8 pinion differential, with 1 1/8" axles.  Just sayin...we have a pulling section and some members that do that...check it out.  :)

junkyarddog55

It is a 3 speed transmission.  Someone put a 8 hp Briggs on it. The little feller looks like it's had a rough life but would like to see it looking good.  Don't mind putting some time in on it. 

• Like 1