1gman

Run ability problems

1gman

After cutting grass for about 15 to 20 min tractor acts like it's running out of gas almost stalls totally but then it starts running normal again. I have replaced the fuel filter and line from tank to engine,cleaned tank,and carb. Also replaced coil and plug. Anybody have other ideas?

WNYPCRepair

Loosen the gas cap and see if it does the same thing.

• Like 1

1gman

Tried that, that didn't make any difference, I was thinking fuel pump may be getting weak,it's a 312-8 with about 1100 hrs on it.

WNYPCRepair

Some real mechanics will be by shortly, I am just a hobbyist. :)

1gman

That's cool I appreciate any help I can get at this point ! This one has me stumped at this point

WNYPCRepair

In the meantime, what model and year is it

slammer302

i would make sure the gas shut off valve is working good alot of them have a screen in them that can get clogged

1gman

It is a 1987 312-8 
i also checked the screen in the tank when I checked the tank

KC9KAS
:WRS:

Could be some junk in the carb bowl. It my need cleaned out.
The float may be sticking..actually the needle attached to the float may be sticking and you bowl gets too low on fuel before the needle lets more fuel into the bowl.
If you don't want to mess with removing the carb, run some SEA-FOAM through the fuel system, this won't hurt anything but may take a tank or 2 to see results.
  • Like 1

1gman

That was the first thing I did,in side of carb was spotless,but I went ahead and sprayed carb cleaner through all of the ports and needle valve. Everything looked great .

• Like 1

jgun45879

Had the same thing happen on a 314-Hydro with a bit over 1000 hrs. The fuel pump was just wore out. Replaced it and it ran like a top again....

• Like 1

1gman

Ok so I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump, and there was no difference . At this point what next,sticking valves ? I'm really lost now! Any ideas?

Edited by 1gman

gwest_ca

If it has the original muffler tap it with a rubber mallet or your fist and listen for a rattle. The tube going into the muffler from the engine has an end cap on it. There are holes around the tube for the exhaust to exit. The end of that tube will burn off and exhaust flow pushes it to the inlet of the second chamber effectively plugging the exhaust. When it quits the problem is temporarily eliminated because the piece falls away from the second inlet but once again exhaust flow will plug it off.

Garry

• Like 1