Sign in to follow this  
Confused99

Trans Fluid Change Info

Confused99

I searched for an hour and did not come up with anything.

1 - 1970 Raider - What fluid do I use in the rear end? How much? How do I change it?

2 - 1980 C125 Auto - Picking up the filter today. What fluid do I use? How much? How do I change it?

Thanks in advance,

Buzz

1970 Raider 12 transmission: SAE 90-140 gear oil. holds 2 qts.

1980 C-125 auto: 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil. Capacity is 5.5 qts but start off with around 4 qts and add until full.

Confused99

Got the Raider done. The oil that came out the trans was pretty nasty so I think I will change that again in the spring.

I have every thing to do the C-125. Will be doing that later tonight or tomorrow. Can anyone explain how to do this?

Thanks,

Jason

Confused99

....... Can anyone explain how to do this?

Please??? Even just a quick run through?

Thanks,

Jason

htopjimmy26

Ok here goes, I think thats a sundstrand? There should be a allen plug [small] in the bottom of the final drive. Pull that and you should get the oil, if you can't figure out the filter maybe you should get somebody's help :hide: good luck :hide: :D

Confused99

Ok here goes, I think thats a sundstrand? There should be a allen plug [small] in the bottom of the final drive. Pull that and you should get the oil, if you can't figure out the filter maybe you should get somebody's help :hide: good luck :hide::D

huh? That's all there is to it? I was warned by the Toro dealer while picking up the filter that I had better be sure to bleed the air out of the system and blah blah blah. Wow, if that is all it is, I should be ok.

Thank you for the reply,

Jason

Confused99

Raider is done and ready for what ever mother nature has to throw at her. One question, I removed the PTO pully, is it ok to run it like I have it?

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

Worked on the C-125 today. Fluids changed and replaced the rear fender. It doesn't look too bad. Let me know your thoughts. The fender is from the 14 auto parts I bought last week.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

htopjimmy26

So you figured out the auto fluid change ok? Sorry if I sounded like a wise a$$, :hide: I'm an awful kidder :omg: . I don't see much of a problem with runnin the other tractor without the pto pulley off, but why are you taking it off? The only concern I would have is that you don't want the collar and crankshaft underneath it to get all rusted up [ it would make removal of the crank pulley harder if you ever need to do it ] you could coat it with a heavey grease temporarily till you fix whatevers wrong with the pto pulley :hide: . Good luck :D Oh, and that Raiders nice :banana:

• Like 1

Electro12WH

I know it's too late now. But I was told if the trans has trans fluid in it, you have to replace with trans fluid. Do not mix auto trans fluid with engine oil. The only way you could switch is with a complete rebuild. Right?

kpinnc

I know it's too late now. But I was told if the trans has trans fluid in it, you have to replace with trans fluid. Do not mix auto trans fluid with engine oil. The only way you could switch is with a complete rebuild. Right?

You are correct. The Sundstrand manual warns not to mix tranny fluid (ATF) with oil, but says the use of either one is OK.

You don't have to rebuild the system to replace the fluid. That particular C-125 does not have hydraulic lift, so it will be much easier to get all of the fluid out, if it had it in there.

I don't think any Sundstrands after 1972-73 came with ATF in them, so regular oil should be fine. Just check to see what's in it to be sure before changing.

Kevin

Confused99

So you figured out the auto fluid change ok? Sorry if I sounded like a wise a$$, :omg: I'm an awful kidder :hide: . I don't see much of a problem with runnin the other tractor without the pto pulley off, but why are you taking it off? The only concern I would have is that you don't want the collar and crankshaft underneath it to get all rusted up [ it would make removal of the crank pulley harder if you ever need to do it ] you could coat it with a heavey grease temporarily till you fix whatevers wrong with the pto pulley :hide: . Good luck :D Oh, and that Raiders nice :banana:

Yeah, no problem. I was just alittle worried about messing something up.

My reason for removing the pulley is just so it and the engagment arm/lever are not in my way and rattling around this winter. I know what you are saying about the possible rust problem. This tractor does go in the garage 100% of the time so that would help alittle. I am not apposed to putting it back on, I was just thinking it would be easier to leave it off for the winter.

Thanks for the comment on the Raider. It is my first WH and I am not sure I will ever sell it. I told my wife last night that I want a big casket to put the Raider and my Wetbike in when I die :omg: . She just :D

Thanks,

Confused99

You are correct. The Sundstrand manual warns not to mix tranny fluid (ATF) with oil, but says the use of either one is OK.

You don't have to rebuild the system to replace the fluid. That particular C-125 does not have hydraulic lift, so it will be much easier to get all of the fluid out, if it had it in there.

I don't think any Sundstrands after 1972-73 came with ATF in them, so regular oil should be fine. Just check to see what's in it to be sure before changing.

Kevin

Yes, my C-125 had motor oil in it. I replaced it with 10w-30 and a Toro/WH filter.

Thanks,

HorseWhisperer

My 73 auto may have tranny fluid in it?ok,I'm scared.does it bleed out the air automatically?I just bought it and wanna get er done but I to need to know how?empty/fill and what goes back in?I found the filter number

can whlvr

pretty muck put back in what came out,red is atf,tan is 10w30,they are self bleeding but can be slow to take the fluid,you can take a bolt out of the top of the tranny to let air out,just make sure every thing is really,really clean when you do this,dont quote me but its around 5 quarts,but i didnt look so check it as you fill it