squonk

Snow Cab Project

squonk

It's 88 outside with high humidity. I'm not retired! :) :rolleyes:  What would be a better time than to start fitting this cab I got onto Ezra my 73 12 8 spd for this winter's snowblower duty.

As some of you may know I got a really nice cab this spring for a 300-500 series tractor  http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/54600-snow-cab/

Problem is this cab will not fit without some mods done. I knew I'd be drilling some holes in the running boards and I didn't want to mess up the original boards so I "Thought"  I'd pick up a pair at the show. Well I found the left one. I couldn't believe the right side was no where to be found. I found one that fits correctly on flea bay. Pretty rusty but I'm going to be drillin and hackin so I'll clean it up later. 
cab_1_002.thumb.JPG.11c5e7cde58028dca21c

cab_1_001.thumb.JPG.52d370b4e7e148f31963

First issue is the lower mounting bar is too long or the boards are too short. 

cab_1_003.thumb.JPG.fcf49f2a1e21fe2e27d6

notched the boards

cab_1_005.thumb.JPG.986d53f6a0b44095b9d1

cab_1_004.thumb.JPG.8dfe1c96c14cc1779ec5

Frame is just about in the right spot now. There is slight interference with the PTO lever as well as the lift arm. something will need to be done about that after the rest of the frame is fitted. 

That's it for now TOO HOT!!!! 

• Like 3

AMC RULES
Man...       :greetings-clapyellow:
that is a good lookin' :wh: tractor.  
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

Good start...Are you going to continue the build on this thread or start a different thread each time you update us?
I want to watch this, as I have a cab and need to mount it on something, but don't know what!

• Like 1

squonk

I'll be adding to this one.

Wheel-N-It
Man, I miss out on all the cool Winter Wheel Horse attachments like Snow Cabs and Snow Blowers ! :no:
  • Like 1

Ken B

Looks good Mike. You gonna put air conditioning in it, oopps sorrry, I meant heat!:ychain:

JC 1965

Lookin good Mike, keep the pics coming.     :thumbs2:

squonk

Had a couple of minutes last night late. Got a little farther. Using welding clamps to secure it to the boards for now. I'm sure I'll be moving things around and don't want to drill 20 holes.:) I will need to locate the holes in the fender pan and don't want to mess that up. I'm going to put the top frame on the floor and flip the whole thing upside down and assemble the back half. Take off the seat and then set it all back on the tractor. I think it's the only way to get it close to where it needs to be,

cab_2_001.thumb.JPG.6cb80da40c526358c5f9

cab_2_002.thumb.JPG.ccd0d40dfd361e6b0f72

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Looking good!

Wheel-N-It
Looking mighty fine Mikey! I hope you can fit in there this Winter with all your boots and Carharts on. You are not a small guy, so make sure you can get all of you in the cab before you go too far :lol:
  • Like 2

squonk

Van, I plan on goin in naked with just Vaseline for insulation! A little more done tonight. flipped it over and got the Halo and back on. Next is to remove the seat and set the whole sha-bang in place to locate mounting holes.

cab_3_001.thumb.JPG.8a35b2ce6cf54a58b78e

cab_3_002.thumb.JPG.f3a739a08e1d9610dee2

• Like 1

AMC RULES
...and to think...  :eusa-think:      :lol:
we thought Dino plowing with no socks was bad. 
  • Like 1

Ken B
...and to think...  :eusa-think:

:lol:
we thought Dino plowing with no socks was bad. 

Mike plowing naked with vaseline all over him? Someone is gonna call the cops!

• Like 2

MalMac

When you mount it to your fender pan make sure you use large washers like fender washer or something similar underneath to spread out the stress caused on the Pan. With all the vibration and wind blowing against the cab it puts more stress on the pan then one would think.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It
Looking good Mikey!!! You and Duke will be in compietition for centerfold of the next years Wheel Horse Calender. I remember he went topless blowing snow a couple of years ago. LOL LOL :lol:
  • Like 1

squonk

Once mounted I plan on large fender washers to spread the load. I think I can get them from McMaster Carr but haven't looked yet. I also plan on using timmerman nuts to hold the bolts from falling out of the fender during install. That way they will act like studs. Then I can cut those nuts after removing the cab for the summer. They are cheap.

Got it on the tractor. and all the holes drilled. Now I have to get the tractor back to the way it was to show it at the Steam Pageant in 2 weeks. after that I'll remount the front half and then make mods so PTO and lift handle clear the frame.cab4_001.thumb.JPG.1238fab48f83cf275bb83

cab4_002.thumb.JPG.35b170dac06d893f55387

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Tankman

Really excellent work! Can't wait to see the finished product!   ;)

• Like 1

JC 1965

Lookin good so far.    :thumbs2:

squonk

Got more done today. (Rain) I wanted to see if anything could be done about the PTO lever and lift lever hitting the frame. I decided to move the front frame forward I left the rear mounting bolts tight. but loosened the other rear bolts. Glad I got a 2nd pair of running boards. I knew I'd be making changes

Cab_5_001.thumb.JPG.0d2f45359989687abdca

Cab_5_003.thumb.JPG.8c73ad93cf64439117ff

Now the lift lever will clear almost all the way down. I don't think I'll need  all that travel with a blower. The right brace was still in the way so I removed it

Cab_5_002.thumb.JPG.cbf1fdd35a1f33dfcaf3

I think If I turn this piece into an upside down capital L I can make it work :)

Cab_5_004.thumb.JPG.9eb5d0e8e116712a5193

OH NO! A BOO BOO!!! I got the rear posts on the wrong sides. Pictures in instructions aren't the best and my eyes are worse! :rolleyes: The door latches won't line up. Latch needs to be on the inside edge. Oh well that's why I'm working on it now as opposed to winter. Get the kinks out with out freezingCab_5_005.thumb.JPG.7873eff146fffc6ba319Since the doors don't latch no sense in putting on the other door. A couple of more pics then tear down
Cab_5_006.thumb.JPG.64c08583b561e8d8b0b8

Cab_5_007.thumb.JPG.f17439d06cefa9e21ebf

ONE MORE QUESTION! WHERE THE HECK DO THESE SPRINGS GO????????? :confusion-confused::confusion-confused:

Cab_5_008.thumb.JPG.5884c545e2b7d40401f6

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Wheel-N-It
Again, thats looking good there Mike! I see you have invested your time wisely today :) :techie-hourglass:
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Nice work

JC 1965

Looks great Mike good fit. I think that will help keep you warm this winter.   :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

Beautiful job, Mike. One of my biggest complaints, not just with Wheel Horse (theit cab manufacturers, i.e. "Original Tractor Cab, Co.) but pretty much all cab manufacturers, is the fact that most do not have zippered-in, replaceable windows. I've often thought of making my own cab covers and doing just that.

• Like 2

AMC RULES
My Originl Cab has both...  :confusion-shrug:
snaps, and a zippered bottom, on its replaceable windshield. 

IMG_2094_(3).thumb.JPG.1a55007887000c065

• Like 5

DennisThornton

Awesome!  Just awesome!  I need to know how she works in a few short months!  Curious about how much the front chains will help.  Looks like the rear chains should do a good job even over the ags.  I'm a big fan of the double cross links!

Dennis Thornton

• Like 1