boovuc

KT17 Series II Governor Settings

boovuc

The governor settings on my refinished Series II 417-8 just cannot be fined tuned. (It had the same issues when I got it so it isn't new from the refresh). I think the PM may have bent, (in or out), the governor rod at one time. The spring looks good and there is no play on the Governor shaft and it moves the same with the same pressure against it as my series I KT17.
I have adjusted the throttle cable location, moved the spring and rod to different holes. What I have is an over-rev at wide-open but when I find the RPM I need at full throttle by adjusting the throttle cable, when I shut down and come back to it, even right away, I have a idle all the way to full throttle. Right now, I have it workable but only at three-quarter throttle. If I go past three-quarter open, it goes over 3600 RPM. Motor has about 1280 hours on a working hour gauge. Greater than 100 PSI in each cyl now that I have run it some. It was about 90 and 95 when I first checked it. I noticed that it does hesitate to come down from a higher RPM. Not instant like it should be.

A trick? Something I overlooked? It runs great! 
Thanks in Advance!

boovuc

Anything? I have the service manual out but for the life of me, I don't get why it won't start to rev up until the throttle is three-quarters open and then will over-rev past that three-quarter mark.
On the K series governors, I know you have to twist the cam end, (for a better term), tight then tighten the governor lever against it. Same here. The service manual doesn't cover that in my KT book.

Thanks! 

Wheel-N-It

Boo, have you performed the basic govenor rod adjustment where you loosen the clamp nut, take out the slack, and then retighten? Look it up on Youtube. Thats what I did for a K301 and it worked perfectly.

boovuc

No but I will now!
Thanks. We'll see how this goes.

boovuc

Van,

I have it about as good as it's going to get without replacing the spring and the arm. I think it was played with just enough to keep it mowing. Right now, I adjusted the best I could the governor arm off the cam and set the hi speed stop. It idles and then as you move the throttle up it goes to full throttle with very little in-between RPM's. The spring looks stretched and the arm was bent over time.

Thanks! 

Wheel-N-It
Well that sounds much better than what it was before. And you can now mow with it which is what you need. Let me know what happens to this engine in thte future with regards to getting the governor and engine rpms  pproperly adjusted. Maybe someone here has a parts motor that will sell you the arm and spring.

AMC RULES
There's governor parts on Ebay now for the KT-17. 
  • Like 1

Wheel-N-It
There's governor parts on Ebay now for the KT-17. 

Craig, someone posted a complete running KT17 in the for sale section of RS yesterday. Our friend Boo jumped on it like a fly on fresh cow poop! His problem should be soon solved, and I hope we will get a detailed report (for us KT-17 series 2 owners) of spring settings and governor arm adjustments. <- HINT HINT Boo :D