mikekot3

toro 416-8 with Onan p216g high oil consumption muffler glows orange

mikekot3

My Toro 416-8 with an Onan P216g engine is burning a lot of oil like 1/2 to 1 quart per Lawn mowing. It also has small oil leak under a shroud near the starter and cylinder head area.
The muffler was glowing orange I am presuming from unburned fuel as it runs rough and back fires when at operating temp. From what I have read the ignition module under the flywheel is a common failure for poor running/low power.
I blow out all exposed fins every time I finish using the lower. It has about 800 hours on it.
Please advise,
mike

boovuc

If your muffler is glowing, your fuel mixture is real lean and that also causes poor running issues as well as a very hot engine! Your ignition module is most likely fine! You need to adjust your fuel mix to give it more gasoline and I wouldn't run it the way it is running now.

• Like 1

cleat

Giving the carb a good cleaning should help. Main jet could be partly obstructed causing the lean mixture.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

This is a quick way to loosen or burn your valves / seats.  Adjust or clean the carb.

mikekot3

Hello everyone,
 I used some seafoam fuel system cleaner down the orifices in the throat of the carburetor which seemed to help. I may still need to rebuild the carb.