Sign in to follow this  
seven

rear end oil

seven

just bought a 1968 electro 12 to restore and it looks like there is reddish transmission fluid in it should i drain it it and go with sae30 oil ? like the manual says and if so how do i drain it see no oil plug anywere

pfrederi

Many old Sundstrands in Wheel horses used ATF (Dexron)  I still run it in my Electro 12 Charger 12 and Charger 10.  If you want to change it you have to completely flush the system as ATF and motor oil do not play well with each other. Drain pug is on the bottom of the transaxle case just to the left of the draw bar tail.  1/4" allen wrench needed to open it.  Frankly I would change the filter and stick with ATF.  Easier and cheaper than flushing the system.

Edit if you do change it should be 10w-30 or 10w-40

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

pacer

Another vote to leave it be ... as Paul said ATF and oil just dont mix well. (I have it in my C-175) and ALL of it just wouldnt come out on a drain. Probably IS a good idea to change it tho...

Re the drain plug -- It is pretty small tucked on the very bottom of the case and over the years can get packed up with dirt/debris. They can be notoriously 'stuck' so make sure you clean the hex socket of anything in it, you'll want the hex wrench to fit cleanly into the very bottom to get as much contact as possible.

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1

seven

ok thahks I will leave er be