Sign in to follow this  
rexman72

1975 D 200 issues

rexman72

I have been working through some issues with the d200 and I came upon another issue.I changed the oil and upon starting it up and it smoking so bad that I cant breath I drained the oil down and saw that gas is getting into the oil.Anyone have any experience with this nd what should I check next?

gwest_ca

Looks like the D-200 has a vacuum operated fuel pump. I wonder if the pump diaphragm is leaking and allowing fuel to be sucked into the crankcase through the vacuum line? 

I have never had anything to do with this style of pump.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca
  • Like 1

wheeledhorseman

Sorry to be a pain but a little more precise detail would help here in narrowing it down I think.

Was the oil change the only thing you did between it running ok and then the smoke issue?

What color was the smoke? Blue haze = oil, black = way too rich fuel mix.

Did it come from both muffler outlets or just one ( A D-200 will run on one cylinder as I discovered recently when a plug failed)

How did you establish the gas getting into the oil ?

The diaphragm pump has been renewed if I recall so should be ok but can be checked by attaching a bit of rubber tube to the port that goes to the crankcase and sucking. If the diaphragm is dodgy you'll suck some gas so be prepared!

Andy

rexman72

Sorry to be a pain but a little more precise detail would help here in narrowing it down I think.

Was the oil change the only thing you did between it running ok and then the smoke issue?

What color was the smoke? Blue haze = oil, black = way too rich fuel mix.

Did it come from both muffler outlets or just one ( A D-200 will run on one cylinder as I discovered recently when a plug failed)

How did you establish the gas getting into the oil ?

The diaphragm pump has been renewed if I recall so should be ok but can be checked by attaching a bit of rubber tube to the port that goes to the crankcase and sucking. If the diaphragm is dodgy you'll suck some gas so be prepared!

Andy

the tractor sat  for a few years  before I got it o I changed all fluids and did some electrical work to it.It never ran good and had white smoke pouring out of both mufflers.Then I rebuild the card yesterday and tried to run the tractor and it ran so rough and smoked a lot so I drained all the oil and found that gas was in the oil.Today I am going to put fresh oil in again now that the card is rebuilt.The pump is brand new so I shouldn't have any issues with that.After I drained the oil/gas back down to a proper level it didn't smoke that much.