rmaynard

Looking to buy a Toyota Tacoma -- any opinions?

rmaynard

Who said I'm lookin' for a "real" truck?
truckster.thumb.jpg.831142b3decb731f7870

• Like 6

baerpath
Real trucks have 8ft beds...
just sayin'.  

:greetings-cya:

and only 2 doors!  :)

Heck no real ones have 6 tires, 4 doors and diesels

• Like 1

truckin88

I have owned a lot of trucks, Ford, GM, Dodge. I buy a new one every 2-3 years. My dad is the same way and he just got rid of his POS 2012 silverado that was plagued with problems (even with fleet style maintenance) for a 2015 Tacoma. First have you seen the tacoma's resale values, they are like the heavy duty trucks in that category, maybe even better. the 4.0 is a great motor. When it comes to small/compact trucks there literally is no comparison everyone else left the market, GM just tried to reenter, and you rarely see those trucks. On the new side there is about a 5k difference on Tacoma and Tundra...but tacoma's hold their value a bit better. Honestly you can't go wrong with Toyota, we have a 13 Highlander now that has been a pleasure to own. I am a little to big and fat of a guy for one at 6'1" 320lbs, but my dad at 5'11" 225lbs fits pretty well.

BTW real trucks have solid front axle's (I traded my real truck in for the F150).

• Like 1

stevebo

I absolutely LOVE my 02' 4 door duramax with the tuner installed but if I were to buy a mid sized truck I would go with the tacoma as well. My dad had one about 10 years ago and ran that little 4 banger as his commuter and loved it. 

• Like 1

Sprocket

Hi - I'm just seeing this now and I've glazed over the replies a bit.  I'll give you my .02 as an owner

I bought mine used - it's a 2006 and it had about 30K miles on it - I forget exactly.  I've had it about 5 years now.  It's a stretch cab with 4 doors but the rear 2 are 1/2 size.  The bed is 6' maybe 6'-6" or so really.  I have a hard tonneau cover that came with it and I put a locking tailgate latch for security.  It's pretty plain - crank windows, no power anything in the cab.  I love it - it does everything I ask it to - it's a 4 cyl, 5 speed with 4WD.  The week I paid it off the odometer turned 78K miles and I turned it into the dealer for recalls - it had about 6 total.  After 3 months I got a call - new frame that came with new spring packs in the rear, new A arms in the front, new lines - brake, fuel, wiring, etc.

I haul dirt with it, the snowblower and ramps, duck hunting gear, fishing gear, stuff, things, junk - all kindsa stuff.  I have some emergency gear in a bag in the back and  some of the usual things like gloves first aid and so on.  Plenty of room - I've stuffed a couple passengers in the back seat and for short runs it's fine but it's no road tripper.  I drove from Boston to Halifax, NS with it - no issues on the long runs, just the expected passenger related potty stops and fuel.

If you tow anything larger than a 14' aluminum boat then get the 6 cyl. but for the small items I don't like - such as no int wipers - the pros outweigh the cons.  22 MPG is usual for me.

There was some advice to evaluate your needs and put that against the truck config - this is good advice.  The few times I needed 4x8 sheets  I didn't have a problem - if I was doing it everyday, I'd have a different truck.  For me, being able to pick up a random freebie find on the road side - a desk or snowblower or doors, etc but still have a specific level of security was key - the stretch cab and hard tonneau with locking latch give me that.

Good luck in your search

• Like 1

JC 1965

Buy the Toyota Bob, you will love it.     :thumbs2:

• Like 1

C-85

I'm a Chevy man and have a few comments.

Full size or small size, I've had both and have gone back to full size.  I do most of my own work and the small ones have all the same stuff the big ones do, but it's crammed in under the dash and hood, so I have found they are a nightmare to work on. 

Having said this, I favor as small as a truck as I can get away with, less to take care of, wash and wax etc.  My full size has a 6.5' bed and I've really used it and never wanted or needed anything more and my truck is an '88 that I bought new, so I've had it for a long time.

I thought someone would mention about the frame recall that Tacoma's are having.  The Toyota dealer near me has stacks of new and old ones they've replaced.  This is great that they have recognized the problem and are fixing it, not all companies do that!  In Vermont they use a lot of salt on the roads in the winter time, so that is especially hard on all metal.

I used to work at a new car dealer and we also had used vehicles and the Japanese brands were always pretty much trouble free, so good luck.  Toyota has really earned their stellar reputations, they are very high quality.

C-85

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Bob:  I just saw this thread.  I have a 2009 Tacoma I bought used in 2011.    It was a Certified Tacoma sold by a Toyota dealership in Terre Haute, Indiana (it was owned previously by one of their salesmen).   I have hauled trailers ( 2009  Tacoma Towing capacity-- -trailer + load up to 3500 lbs limit on Tacoma without towing package and 6500 with according to manual)  )  to shows  (even the Big WH show) and I get anywhere from 20 to 25 mpg depending on weather, speed, etc.   Mine is an access cab with the 6 ft bed.   I like the 6 ft bed.  With a  three piece wide ramp this will load a smaller Wheel Horse fine.  I probably would go with the  6 CYL  4.0  motor if doing again.   This truck is well built.  I am amazed what these sell for new and how much value they to retain when older.   Mine had  33 thousand miles on it when I bought it and has 78 thousand now.   Mine has custom wheels which I also do not like and I thibnk my tires wil be something heavier duty than the Michelins next time I buy them.  The access cab does give you a little more hauling space but  not really room for passengers to go very far comfortably !

011.JPG

012.JPG

2015 Wheel Horse Show Trip 017.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger

rmaynard

I saw your Tacoma at the show Lane. Wheel Horse red is a nice color.  :lol:  I almost bought an access cab, 4x2, but walked away at the last minute. It was not certified, and with the winters that we have here, not getting a 4x4 would have been a big mistake. And that tiny thing they call a bench seat, Even my 7 year old grandson had a problem with that.

The dealer that I am probably going to finalize a deal with has just lowered all four of his 2013's by $500.00 to $1000.00, making the deal a little sweeter. As far as towing, the empty weight of my 6 x 12 utility trailer is about 900 lbs. With 4 average Wheel Horses, the total weight would be about 3500 lbs. So even without the factory towing package I would be okay.

I probably would have already purchased something, but as usual, life gets in the way. Had to replace the well pump, my current Chevy Astro needed a new front wheel hub/bearing, the wife's Subaru A/C went up, and on and on... :wacko:  Here is a picture of the unit I have been looking at. Actually there are two, one is white, and this silver one.

7add3ed7fe54bf43d7466d003099111f.jpg

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3

rmaynard

Okay, here's the update. I purchased a 2014 Tacoma today. Here she is.

2014_Tacoma.thumb.jpg.1256ad5b1b280fa3e1

2014_Taco1.thumb.jpg.7d1763d35055869a2e4

• Like 9

squonk

Nice truck. :)  One of my biggest things about ext or 4 dr cabs is you have more leg room. Std cab, seat hits the back and you can't go any farther.

• Like 3

Sparky

Real nice Bob! What motor and tranny?
Looks like the first thing you need to install is the 2" receiver.
Mike....

rmaynard

Real nice Bob! What motor and tranny?
Looks like the first thing you need to install is the 2" receiver.
Mike....

4.0L V6, 5 Speed Automatic. Electronic 4-Wheel Drive.
Class III/IV, 2" hitch receiver is on order.

• Like 2

Racinbob

Looks great Bob. :)

dclarke

Looks like a nice one, Bob.  That should serve you well for a long time. 

JimD

That's gonna look good on you Bob. :wicked:

rmaynard

That's gonna look good on you Bob. :wicked:

I think you are right...how can you not look good with these little guys?
bob_boyz.thumb.jpg.bd8216dd904a925dba0a7

They already called "dibs" on the back seat riding 
to the beach with grandpa and grandma next month.

• Like 9

squonk

July must be Toyota month. got my Tundra exactly 1 yr ago. Brought it home and started filling the bed with tractor parts to take to the Steam Pageant.

stevebo

Bob-
Love the truck. Very clean and nice color/lines. Best of luck with it!

rmaynard

Just hooked the trailer up today for the first time. Hauled an RJ-35 to the scrap metal recycling center this morning.

RJ35_On_Trailer.thumb.jpg.f5d744d7c71f5f

:angry-tappingfoot:

Now before anyone panics, the RJ-35 just went along for the ride. I had to get rid of some scrap metal and trash on the trailer before I head up to Olde Tyme Days on Saturday. The RJ is NOT mine, and is just being transported.

• Like 4

JC 1965

Great lookin truck Bob.       :thumbs2:

shallowwatersailor

Just hooked the trailer up today for the first time. Hauled an RJ-35 to the scrap metal recycling center this morning.

You had us all worried, Bob!  I thought to myself that I would hobble up there to get that from the recycling center.

Nice looking truck, and the tailgate buddies!

rmaynard

...Nice looking truck, and the tailgate buddies!.

Thanks. The biggest of the little tailgate buddies was my final inspiration for getting the 4X4. He and little brother are going with us to the Outer Banks later this summer, and he said that "somebody has to have a 4-wheeler for driving on the beach". I guess he meant me. Now if I can just get my hands on his piggy bank... :hide:

• Like 3

Sparky

How did it tow? Was the trailer loaded up?
Mike.........

grnlark

Late to the party here Bob, but great choice on the truck. I've had three Tacomas and loved every one. They run forever, they're beyond reliable and even with 200k on the odometer no American truck will compare to the re-sale. If you ever have a need to haul something 8 feet and the trailer wont work for whatever reason, you can drop the tailgate and get one of those bed extender cages. Problem solved. Nice ride and best of luck!