dobigl

help with the GT 14

dobigl

Hello, I wrote previously about a gt 14 that I have acquired from a family member. It loses reverse when it gets hot. It was suggested by 953 nut that we try changing the filter (NAPA 1410) and changing the fluid. When we took the filter off, the fluid looked exactly like tomato soup. We tried to locate the drain plug which (I believe) we found under the axle. That fluid looked like tomato soup as well. So we drained it completely and filled it (fill plug above axle with a dip stick?) with a 10W-30. So far so good? Now we need to locate the engine oil drain plug and fill it. Specs say 5 pints. It is low on oil now and needs a battery. Keeping my fingers crossed. Found another transmission on a used wheel horse (not sure of the kind, seller said it was a "10")  the bolt pattern is exactly the same and should switch ok if needed. Anything else that could be suggested with the transmission would be appreciated....

bitten

With tomato soup being red I would have put auto tranny fluid in it.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

My GT-14 uses transmission fluid.
I think motor oil AND transmission fluid both work, BUT do not mix them.

Your engine oil drain plug (or cap) will be located very low on the block/oil pan...most likely on the side of the engine nearest the steering wheel.

Oh, and :WRS:, and we want photos of your GT!

Edited by KC9KAS
add welcome

953 nut

Chances are that no harm will come of changing from ATF to 10 W 30 as long as the system was drained completely. Now that we ruled out contaminated fluid or a non hydraulic filter we can look at the next likely culprit, your acceleration valve springs. The acceleration valves work to give a smooth change of speed or direction, springs on both sides of the valves will modulate these changes and if broken will reduce performance.

Information on pages 49 to 51 of the attached manual will show you where they are located, how to remove and inspect them and what to look for. The valve at the front is for reverse, be sure to do one at a time, the forward valve (located at the rear) is different allowing higher forward speed. You will need a  1 3/16 Box end wrench or socket to do the check. There is a diagram that shows how to make the tool to remove the valve seat. As long as the valve can be removed you can service this by replacing the springs. If you need new springs let me know and I can PM the address and phone number of the fellow I got mine from. If the valve will not come out then we will need to consider replacement of the Hydro Gear Motor. 

You have a Sunstrand 90-2062 and the 90-2046 was used on all smaller hydro Wheel Horses from 1968 to 1973. The only difference between the two is the output gear size that drives the differential. I have changed this out successfully and if this becomes your next step we will guide you through it step by step.

Hope this helps.

Sunstrand Hydro (part 4).pdf