Don201

C161 Auto Tranny Question

Don201

I am the proud new owner of a 79 C161 Auto. The tractor was not in running condition when I got it. I am hoping to bring this machine back to life. My plan is to try to get it running so that I will know the condition of the engine and tranny. I was able to get it running today. Engine is running fine. Much more vibration than I am used to with my B80 and 312-8. The hydrolics appear to be functioning as well. The question I have is about the tranny. When I run it in forward and reverse the right hub is turning at a slower rate than the left hub. I have it on blocks with wheels removed. The brake drum is spinning as it should and when the brake pedal is applied she goes to neutral. The difference in the speed of turn between the two hubs is significant. I plan to break it down to clean it up and eliminate rust but not a fan of splitting trannies. Any thoughts on this? I have never had or used a hydro before so this will be new experience for me.

Don201

image.jpg

Racinbob

The vibration is probably the wobbly mount motor. I have never liked the motors mounted that way. As far as the transmission I'm thinking watching the hubs spin while on blocks isn't telling you anything and probably normal. Is it driving OK?

Don201

I have not been able to drive it. When I got it, it was not in condition to drive. Back tires were wasted. The fuel tank was gummed up with orange looking caked up stuff. The fuel lines were caked up all the way to the carb. So far I haven't found much on it that was useable. The flywheel felt ok and would turn, and as it turns out it runs good after some work. The engine is mounted on a cradle with rubber bushings. I couldn't test the tranny until I could get the engine going. The axles do not have play and I am not finding any leaks in the tranny or the hydros. The hubs are not mounted flush with the axles, they are positioned out on the axle about 1/4 inch. Maybe I will get lucky and will have a functional tranny and hydro? 

image.jpg

pacer

What you are describing sounds normal, in fact if you reach down and hold one or the other axle it will stop and the other will turn - thats just a feature of a differential. About the best test you can do on stands is confirm fwd and rev are working. In a situation like you have with so many unknowns I will get the engine running in any way possible usually using an aux fuel tank and jumper wires, once I confirm the engine if functioning - or not! - I next try to determine that it will move out of its tracks, I'll sit on a milk crate or whatever and steer with a pair of vise grips if necessary, any thing to eliminate, or point out any problems.

• Like 1