Sprocket

Tecumseh H7- Carb and Carb Accessories

Sprocket

I know, I know - it's a Tecumseh and that's what they do...

The carb shows signs of leaking at the bowl - is is a float type carb BTW.  I've replaced the hose and added a filter (made for a VW Bug).  I don't think the machine likes the filter.  Lots of sputtering and the adjustments are very fussy.  Once it was cool it would not run with out a lot of choke so I pulled the filter and let it run long enough to put back in the barn for the night.

In changing out the hose I had to pull the engine cover the has the linkage - I think it's a governor or something - see the attached pics.  At one point I had to remove the links from the Fritzy (that's the arm with the holes)  I though I put it all back together correctly... If someone can verify this I'd appreciate it.

Whereas the carb is leaking and has say for who knows how long before I got the machine I intend to get an Oregon carb and a couple parts kits for the Tecky carb.  The Oregon is to prevent downtime and the multiple kits are based on my experience from days gone by when I had a Jeep that a POS carb on it.  I still have my 3 lb. hammer I used to adjust the Jeep carbs...

Before I start down this frustrating road, are there any cab wizards in New England willing to help/teach me the finer arts of cab adjusting and/or rebuilding live in person?  I'm willing to drive to you with the machine and lunch and beverages of choice would be on me.

I've pulled a lot of the manuals etc. already and started reading up on things and now that I have my engine code I can order the right parts.

Thanks for looking

IMG_7041.JPG

AMC RULES
These new Tecumseh knock off carbs pretty much, perform flawlessly right out of the box...truly, plug & play here. 
Just pick your price point...but, CYA by ensuring it originates from a US based seller.  

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2055119.m570.l1311.R1.TR2.TRC1.A0.H1.Xtecumseh+h70+carb.TRS0&_nkw=tecumseh+h70+carburetor&_sacat=0  Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

Sprocket

Thanks for the US based tip - I also go an email today from eBay indicating a discount until July 31 - $20 for a new one, I may get two, just need to verify part #'s

Sprocket

Installed the carb today - Before I changed it out I noticed the engine has a sputter to it.  It was always sort of soft and subtle.  With the new carb it pops, sputters and is overall choppy at idle.  I pulled the plug and it was black, brushed it and checked the gap.  I'll be replacing it soon.

The carb is a China made unit but it seems to be set up correctly - I think the engine is tired as it bogs down on the slight incline while mowing - it still mows fine but I notice it's not full blast on the up hill.

Any help with the sputters and pops is appreciated.
Thanks All

slammer302

I put a after market carb on my tecky the only thing I had to do was close the low speed needle till it was almost closed and it runs great and has been all summer Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Brian01

I have a techy, its on a Raider 10 I bought from slammer302, hh100, needs a coil...I'd sale hole mower if interested

Sprocket

I'm just kinda at a loss - Could it be the points or timing related?  The carb is brand new, sure it may need a tweak but if it's not firing right I'm inclined to think there's more going on than too much fuel.

Of course I might be over-thinking things too, which is why I ask for your help
Thanks All

I'm just kinda at a loss - Could it be the points or timing related?  The carb is brand new, sure it may need a tweak but if it's not firing right I'm inclined to think there's more going on than too much fuel.

Of course I might be over-thinking things too, which is why I ask for your help
Thanks All