RedRanger

Hub Caps or Wheel Covers without scratching rims?????

RedRanger

I have a set of hub caps/wheel covers that I've been considering using.  I don't want to scratch my freshly powder coated wheels though.  Is there a trick anyone knows of that will save the wheels as it seems every tractor I've seen that had wheel covers at one time has the scars to show it.  If they're going to scratch my wheels, I won't use them.

Who has experience using wheel covers?  I was thinking of maybe using electrical tape over the clips and making sure the clips have light pressure on the wheel???  

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

neil

Good question , I don't have an answer but I would be interested to hear if there is a solution.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
I imagine you could remove the clips...    :confusion-shrug:
and use a small dab of silicone, evenly spaced, 3,6,9&12 o'clock around the cap.
Once dried, should hold it in place. Especially, a show tractor, that sees limited use. 
  • Like 2

new2horses

RedRanger,
 Back slowly away from those nasty hubcaps! Call me with your exact GPS location and I will come by and pick them up thereby eliminating any danger to your freshly powder coated wheels!!!!!!:ychain::auto-ambulance: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DOC in Kentucky

I wrap rubberized electrical tape around the cap. It has two sided sticky rubber and protects the painted wheel. It works for me!!!

• Like 2

RedRanger

RedRanger,
 Back slowly away from those nasty hubcaps! Call me with your exact GPS location and I will come by and pick them up thereby eliminating any danger to your freshly powder coated wheels!!!!!!:ychain::auto-ambulance: 

Thank you for the more than considerate offer there new.  fighting0025.gif

:ychain:

M151A1

You can remove the clips and buy the u-shaped door edge guard at your local auto parts store. Cut pieces and apply to hub cap. The newer rims have a concaved lip for the bead lock and the door edge snaps snugly into that grove.

• Like 1

RedRanger

You can remove the clips and buy the u-shaped door edge guard at your local auto parts store. Cut pieces and apply to hub cap. The newer rims have a concaved lip for the bead lock and the door edge snaps snugly into that grove.

Very interesting!  I like the idea.
I'll check it out.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Very interesting!  I like the idea.
I'll check it out.

very interesting idea, let us know if you try it please.

glenn

• Like 1

GlenPettit

These small metal spring clips are designed to dig into the paint and metal wheel, and they will scratch the paint and slightly damage the metal wheel.  Wheels in regular mowing-towing use take a very rough beating/bounce and just a friction grip with plastic or rubber just won't hold them on –– for shows or just display, a friction fit would be OK, but I think we will have to accept the "easy-to-fix" damage the clips will cause.  With the Chrome Wheel Covers on, no one sees the scratch under it anyway.   Also, important to always use all four clips around each Wheel Cover.
IMG_0135_zpsvuqdmdgx.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

RedRanger

I have a role of the door edge guard left over from another project.
I'm thinking a friction fit with the plastic/rubber guard and some dabs of silicone.  Worse thing that can happen is they fall off.

Wheel scratches from wheel covers are like fingernails on a chalk board to me.  Show or work horse, just not right.

MikesRJ

Worst could be they fall off and you roll over it with the mower! LOL

squonk

I had a cover come off during the tractor parade during last year's show. :auto-swerve:

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Wasn't that when the ol' Kohler...
sneezed, and you lost twenty laps?   
:lol:
  • Like 1

RedRanger

M151A1 hit it!  Door edge guard works perfect.
I removed the clips (what a PIA).  Installed sections of door edge guard.
Installed covers.

I did have to "adjust" the tension on two of the caps by flexing the lip out making the fit a bit more tight, but these things don't budge.
Without prying them off, there is no removing them.
Nice thing is they tapped in as secure as they would with the metal clips.

No silicone or glue needed.
If they fall off or come loose, I'll post back.

Thanks for all your input and to M151A1 for saving my wheels!

002.thumb.jpg.94c023927ffd0673d8f8c33864004_(2).thumb.jpg.27c4c6cde54829cb579cb3009.thumb.jpg.ddb303dc85d9b2325eec0dbeaa005.thumb.jpg.8780894959276fbc8c5e594128004.thumb.jpg.4ee804416e868e2c2e96cce731007.thumb.jpg.d1146e3e18b8381fabcd3a8769
  • Like 2

MikesRJ

Not to hijack a thread, but I have a question for all you hubcap owners. What does a set of brand new, in the original wrapping paper, chrome only hub caps go for these days. I have a set of four, 2x 8" fronts and 2x 12" rears. Similar to the image below. The pictures not mine, just an example.

image.jpg

Edited by MikesRJ

Don1977

Paint is a lot cheaper than those wheel covers I wouldn't want to loose one.

GlenPettit

Twice now I've seen  NOS Wheel Covers  in the original paper wrap sell on eBay for nearly $200.  They do seen to "pop up' 1-2 times are year in NOS condition,  but they have to be inspected 'cause rust & dents can happen in storage after 20-30 years on even minor factory scratches (NOS does not always mean perfect-flawless), and storage could have been on a basement floor or in a bin under whatever.

• Like 1

MikesRJ

Twice now I've seen  NOS Wheel Covers  in the original paper wrap sell on eBay for nearly $200.  They do seen to "pop up' 1-2 times are year in NOS condition,  but they have to be inspected 'cause rust & dents can happen in storage after 20-30 years on even minor factory scratches (NOS does not always mean perfect-flawless), and storage could have been on a basement floor or in a bin under whatever.

Glenn, You know of me for some time now. What do you think the likelihood of me storing anything Wheel Horse related in a haphazard manner? The ones I have are as flawless as the day they came out of the dealers shop, and I do check in on them annually. LOL :)

rmaynard

Gee Mike, I remember when you bought (stole) those hubcaps. I'll give you what you paid for them.  :hide:

• Like 2

MikesRJ

Hey you! Yea you, in the peanut gallery. Shut yer pie hole! LOL :) Pay no attention to the Maynard behind the curtain. 

Edited by MikesRJ
  • Like 2

857 horse

AND YES FOLKS,,,FOR THOSE JUST TUNING IN....

THESE ARE ALL NEIGHBORS ON WISTERIA ....UM.....WHEEL HORSE LANE....
NO MATTER WHAT STREET YOU LIVE ON....
KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR HUB CAPS............

HOWARD IN VA

• Like 2

RedRanger

Not to hijack a thread, but I have a question for all you hubcap owners. What does a set of brand new, in the original wrapping paper, chrome only hub caps go for these days. I have a set of four, 2x 8" fronts and 2x 12" rears. Similar to the image below. The pictures not mine, just an example.

image.jpg

N.O.S.  $200-$300.

• Like 1

WHX??

Dug this thread out the cellar as I have a set of caps to put on and do not want to scratch an exquisite paint job incase the caps don't work on this build come off. Just happen to have a butt load of the door trim edging stuff so going to try that. Stay tuned for before and after pics & maybe even a glimpse of some unusual red!

• Like 3

JCM

@WHX24    Thanks for digging up this thread.Been wanting to repaint the wheels on the 86  417-8 and reinstall the original hub caps but don't want to bark up a nice painted rim after all that work cleaning. prepping and painting the rims. Let us know how that door edge trim works, hopefully the chromies will stay put even after a woods ride.Can't wait for the Ribbon Cutting on the Candy Apple unusual red.

• Like 2