Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

WH ROOKIE QUESTION

illinilefttackle

:D I haven't been a rookie since 1963, but to Wheel Horses I am. What is the difference between a GT-14 & a C-125? Front spindles, frame, etc. I like my "C" but I have been looking at a GT-14 for a rebuild project. Please enlighten me as to the basic differences, capability, available attachments? Thanks -AL :hide:

Teddy da Bear

Friend Al,

You can just come up for a visit as I have two GT-14's....

You can come and compare for yourself.... :D

But to answer some of your questions... It was built starting with the model year of 1969, then built until 1973. But almost no one has seen a 1973 model. (Perhaps 1973 was a very low production year.) This is the "heavyweight" of wheel horse tractors at the time.....other than maybe the 18 auto and later the D series). I believe it weighs in at 980lbs. dry weight. Add gas, oil, fluid and an attachment and you are well over 1000lbs. They are all hydraulic lift and hydrostatic drive. Most all attachments were unique to the GT-14's, but a snow plow from almost any later model year will work on them. And most 48" mower decks (70's era) can be made to work with some parts and fabricating. Otherwise there was a 48" mower deck, tiller and I believe a snowblower that were made specifically for the GT-14. One of mine is fitted with an Ark 500 loader.

Most came with 3pt. hitches, but both were swiped off of mine...... :hide: They of course have a 14hp kohler engine. Very unique gas tank up front.... And that about covers it unless someone else has something to add.

I don't have the C-125 you have.... But I have the C-195. I believe the GT would be about the same size as your C-125...but a lot heavier of course. My C-195 is the same size but about 4 inches taller if that comparison helps. I do believe the front end is built much heavier than the C-195. I also believe the axles are 1 1/8" dia. on the GT.

It is so far...my favorite tractor.

ol550

Not to put down the C-125, BUT if someone wanted to trade me a C125 for my

GT-14. :hide: They would have to throw in a GT-14 to make it worth my time! :D:hide: Mike

BPjunk

Al,

Back in 1969 the GT-14 was THE KING :group: of garden tractors because it was the first model to be powered by a 14 hp Kohler!!!! (this was back in the time when ifn's ya' had a 8 hp ya' was the bad boy on the block) :hide:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

refracman

Al

I think Mike has covered about everything with the differences. Dont want to scare you off of rebuilding a GT but replacements wear parts are hard to find because they will only fit a GT14.

I have done a couple of GT rebiulds. If you decide to take the project on and have any ?s just ask.

I also have a few Wheel Horses but I still will take my GTs over any other Wheel Horse for durability and just plain ruggedness.

illinilefttackle

:D If the Gt-14 s are all Hydro's, what pump do they use? What differential?

I think my axles are 1 1/8 Dia. I guess I'm having trouble seeing what makes them much heavier than my C-125. -Thanks-AL :hide:

Teddy da Bear

Heavier frame...heavier front axle and tie-rods.. Cast iron grill ( :hide: it's heavy)

All sheet metal has larger surface area and heavier gage than the younger C-125.

I believe it has a sundstrand transmission. Refrac will have to tell you if it is unique or not.....I am not sure.

It's like a T-rex of the garden tractors.....lol

p.s. Refracman? Would you have a metal console plate for the Gt-14?

mine was missing at the auction.

Sparky

Mike. I know you have a GT-14 but do you have a "C" series tractor? Not the C-195 of course but something more like Al's C-125. I was thinking that maybe you could take a couple pics of the GT-14 and the "C" side by side and stick em on here. I did it with my C and my D series tractor. It came out lookin like this........

WHD-160001.jpg

Mike..........

Teddy da Bear

Sparky...

I have 3 C series tractors....But only the C-195 is the "black hood"

that Al likes. And it makes the GT look a little small.

Teddy da Bear

Al..... Were you just thinking of finding a GT-14 or do you have a line on one available to you?