can whlvr

k341 issues

can whlvr

so I just got another tractor today,a 1976 c 160,she needs a lot of tlc but does run good but has some problems,the head is leaking between the block and head,its oil,ya im going to pull head and inspect gasket,get a new one and decarbon,shes got serios blow by from something, lots of air coming out the oil filler ill clean breather and check valves for carbon and if that's not it she will need a rebuild,so I went on kohlers site and its unbeleivablewhet they want for piston,rings rod and gaskets which need to ordered separately,not in a set,over 500 hundred and that's in the us,im in Canada so it will be another 250,ive used the china rebuild sets and had good success but its not been that long and with 6 workers they havnt had loads of hours yet put on,so imwondrering if I need to can I reuse the rod if its in specs,and would you reuse or not,id love to put all kohler parts but as ive read here for years that the oem parts arnt much better,or are they,id concider a piston and rings with existing rod or go with the china sets,this engine runs real nice so id like to trear her if it needs,your thoughts please

Edited by can whlvr

tunahead72

Hi Don.  It's good to plan this out, but don't get too far ahead of yourself.  If she's running good, it's possible the things you mentioned in your first couple of sentences will solve your problems.  At the very least, you'll have a better idea of what kind of condition she's in.

As long as you're going to pull the head, I would also make sure it's flat and resurface it if necessary.

can whlvr

defineatly gonna flatten head ,hoping its carbon,not a lot of smoke when driving,could be breather too,but if not im gonna rebuild,no hurry though,thats why im asking for input

pacer

There are multiple varieties of rebuild 'kits' on ebay from the importers, from just a gasket set to gaskets, rod/piston/rings, valves etc and a variety of prices -- just put "kohler K341 rebuild kit" or similar in search. Many of us have used these and have had good luck with them. Youre right, Kohler prices will give a fella a heart attack!!

• Like 1

pfrederi

Leak down test....