squonk

Overkill?

squonk

Working on my 67 1267. The hood hits the steering wheel opening and closing. I decided to tear it down and correct this. The wheel center cap is gone and  there was a bolt and washer holding the wheel on. I never saw that on a Horse before. Anyway after removing the bolt I get the lock collar loose. I get the wheel up some and now I see a roll pin. Can't get the pin out so out comes my bearing seperator and big honkn puller. 18" cresent wrench on the center bolt and I procede to remove the wheel. Now as the wheel comes off I see a key and a key groove in the wheel. Is this factory? Seems like just a roll pin would be enough!

DTOM

Yes it is. you have a 3/8-16 x 1/2 bolt under the cap. A #9 woodruf key and 3/16 x 1 roll pin. I guess they didn't want that steering to come off....

Retired Wrencher
:USA::wh: Mike the only thing that worked for me was heat yea you waste the nylon bushing but you can work around that and punch out the roll pin. And your done. I guess W/Horse never heard of Never Seize. I use this for all assembly work.Enjoy the ride. Gary   B.....
  • Like 1

squonk

Roll pin wasn't budging even with a big impact hammer and roll pin driver.I got it apart with the puller and separator sheared the roll pin. I haven't  needed to pull a wheel before and thought all of this was excessive. The thing that gets me is I had to remove the wheel because the hood hit the wheel when opening and closing. someone must have changed the wheel at some point. I have both a 3 spoke and 2 spoke wheel to go on but both will hit. I'm going to extend the steering shaft 2 1/2" and retain the wheel with a 1/4" hitch pin.

Edited by squonk

new2horses

I don't have a 1267, but my 1257 has a steering wheel exactly as you are describing. The diameter of my wheel is also bigger than on my short frame tractors, my guess was because of the heavier engine out there. At any rate, I have seen the same issue from time to time. My observation has been that the steering wheel has been bent to some degree, my solution was to turn the steering wheel so that the spokes run with the tractor and insert pry bars from both the left and right with the ends on either side of the wheel center and then pull up equally. I have done this on several of the two spoke wheels with good success.

squonk

Tractor had a 3 spoke wheel on it and it didn't look bent at all. Since it's all apart, I'm going to extend the shaft anyway.

WHX??

My 1067 does the same thing, hits the hood, if the wheel is turned the right way. My wheel is a white two spke  tho so can't be orignal. Hope I don't run into that issue getting it off when the time comes to fix.

AMC RULES
I can't remember, I'll have to check my 1277's steering wheel...
see if it's the same wheel as the Skonks, and if the hood hits it, or not.

squonk

shaft extended 2.5 " Wheel won't hit hood no more! :)wheel_002.thumb.JPG.5df45d2174be93106050

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES
That tractor just needs decals.  :teasing-poke:

woodchuckfarmer
Nice seat....Wayne
  • Like 1

squonk

Paitence Grasshopper! :)

• Like 1

AMC RULES
C'mon, wax on...
wax off Danielson.   
:chores-chopwood:
  • Like 1

Brian01

While you had it apart, you should have fabbed up tilt steering. ;)

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It
Looks like its more comfortable to drive now Mike!
BTW, one of my coworkers brought a homemade cake to work today with rhubarb and strawberry topping. It was de-licious:)
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

sorekiwi

The steering shaft on the early square-hoods is about 1" shorter than the later shafts.  On my 1267 I switched to a C Series column.

My 1267 had a conventional steering shaft - just a roll-pin, no woodruff key.