Hodge71

GT-14 head gasket issue

Hodge71

Hey guys, Im having an issue with the engine on the GT-14. When I got it back in the winter I noticed a little oil seepage on the cooling fins by the head gasket. I was told by the PO that the head gasket was changed and all was ok. Well I never really paid much attention after that because The next issue with the transmission taking a poop on me and needing to be changed out was a priority at that point. This oil leak issue has reared its ugly head again. Its leaking pretty bad at the head gasket and the fins need to be cleaned every time I cut the grass. What can be done with this to remedy the situation? Do I need to replace the gasket again? I checked the torques on the head bolts and they're all ok. Ive already sunk $300 into the rear end on this tractor when the tranny went south. Is it worth pulling the engine apart? I'm afraid that there is a serious reason the head gasket was changed by the PO to begin with, especially with how its dumping oil out of that area when running.   

tunahead72

I would probably remove the head and check it for flatness -- on a really flat surface like a pane of glass or a table saw bed, you shouldn't be able to get a .003" feeler under it.  Somewhere here on RedSquare, there's instructions for how to flatten the head, it's not hard, just a little time-consuming.  I would plan to replace the gasket as well.

--------
EDIT:  Here's one of the threads I was thinking about:
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/38803-how-to-renew-cylinder-head-gasket-sealing-surface/
--------

You might also have excessive oil pressure in the crankcase, have you checked the breather assembly?

Are there any other leaks that you know of?

Edited by tunahead72
  • Like 1

Hodge71

Breather appears to be fine. Theres no oil seepage there and the dipstick doesn't blow out either. I guess Im pulling the head and hoping its thats simple. I have resurfaced the head from the K-91 on my boys Suburban 400. It wasn't seeping oil like this thing is. I guess I'll check the cylinder while I have the head off and check for polishing as well

• Like 1