boovuc

417-8 Refresh_2 Questions

boovuc

Gentlemen,

I have been working since late April on a refresh of a 417-8 I picked up. 1280 hours and it was in pretty good mechanical shape but was getting pretty rusty. (It wasn't left outside it's whole life but it was outside some).
The idiot lights worked except for the Parking Brake Light but.after putting this back together, all I have is the oil pressure light that works off the test switch and before starting. Nothing from the others.
Observations: When I hit the test switch with the key off, the oil pressure light comes on and I also get 12.5 volts through the volt gauge. Again, this is with the key off.
My 416-8 Onan won't even test without the switch on but then again, that thing was haywired when I got it and I have no other tractor with the idiot lights to compare to.

Ground is good or I wouldn't get the oil pressure light. I handled that circuit board like a mercury switch hooked to a bomb so I don't think I knocked anything loose.
I cleaned all the connectors before re-installing. The parking light didn't work because the little seed lamp is missing.

While you are pondering that, I noticed the headlights are 50 watt halogens. My others are 35 watt non-halogen.
Are we cool with the 15 more watts on the headlight circuit? Oh and what is the replacement bulb for the tail lights. (Push in bulb reminds me of the old flash bulbs of the 60's). I have one out and nothing to steal from!

It's turning out decent. I still need to change out tires, paint the rims and hubs and get my seat back from a local upholstery shop. 

Thanks!

Hood_engine.JPG

Hood1.JPG

Hood2.JPG

• Like 2

AMC RULES
Is looking really good Boo.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

boovuc

Thanks, Craig.
Can anyone check to see if their 417 idiot lights turn on with the test button with the ignition OFF and have their volt gauge indicate battery voltage?
I have to believe I have something not wired properly that all but the oil pressure light won't work.
I would think any of that year(s), (1985-1986) 312-8, 312-A, 417-8 and Auto & 416-8 would be harnessed the same. I pulled the schematic but haven't had time to tear it open again and compare wire colors, etc. I had negative voltage on the volt gauge when I first put it together and swapped the leads around to get a good voltage reading on it.

Thanks Again in Advance!

cleat

my 416 lights up all the idiot lights irregardless of ignition switch settings but the volt gauge does not move.

boovuc

Thanks, Cleat!