USHorse

310-8 M10 kohler engine won't shut off

USHorse

Engine starts fine but won't shut down when turning key to off.  Have to pull spark wire off to shut down.  Did remove ignition switch from dash and cleaned posts.  No change. Swapped ignition previously used on 16hp K341.  Although there is an extra post on that ignition switch, still no change.  The spring like coil that secures wire to spark plug has been separated from wire for years although  still starts engine.   Before I begin ripping wires apart and recognizing that electrical is not my strong suit...any suggestions as to a starting point? (Pun intended)

Lagersolut

Pull the engine tin on the flywheel side - look at the top your magneto for a wire going back to your key switch - this wire is your kill switch/wire  - it may have broke or come off . if it's still attached you either have a bad ignition switch or the wire is broke inside the casing - before replacing the ign. switch try to check wire for continuity using a multimeter 

If I remember right it's white .

Edited by Lagersolut

buckrancher

the plug at the back of the motor has a white wire this is your kill wire unplug the motor and start it use a jumper wire from the connector where the white wire is located to ground and see if the motor shuts off
if it does not the white wire is broken off the coil under the motor blower tin above the flywheel

Brian

oldredrider

You will need the proper ignition switch...one for a magneto. 

buckrancher

Engine starts fine but won't shut down when turning key to off.  Have to pull spark wire off to shut down.  Did remove ignition switch from dash and cleaned posts.  No change. Swapped ignition previously used on 16hp K341.  Although there is an extra post on that ignition switch, still no change.  The spring like coil that secures wire to spark plug has been separated from wire for years although  still starts engine.   Before I begin ripping wires apart and recognizing that electrical is not my strong suit...any suggestions as to a starting point? (Pun intended)

The key switch is different for a k series motor you must use the one for the m series

Brian

USHorse

Thank u all.  It was the wire at the magneto (white as described but been taped by previous owner (father) so looks black).  Mouse nest around wire and chewed through.  May as well replace spark plug wire too.  Thanks again

1435529874972.jpg

1435530003490.jpg

Lagersolut

Thank u all.  It was the wire at the magneto (white as described but been taped by previous owner (father) so looks black).  Mouse nest around wire and chewed through.  May as well replace spark plug wire too.  Thanks agai

Did you loosen the magneto ?  if so make sure you set it with a feeler gauge back to specs - the air gap designates timing .

Just looked it up in my service manual - ignition module .012 - .016

Spark plug gap .025

Plug torque 18-22 ft/lbs

Edited by Lagersolut
  • Like 1

USHorse

I did and noticed  the air gap stamped  on magneto.  Looks like  plug wire and magneto are made as a non-seperable unit pay extra case attention when reinstalling.   

Lagersolut

Looks like your mouse did enough damage to those wires .  That magneto  isn't cheap either , if I remember right it's around 80 bucks.