Nathanielperz

K301 flywheel stuck

Nathanielperz

I am finally fixing the knock in my k301 and I figure while I'm in there I might as well rebuild it new piston, rings, connecting rod, etc. (the knock is coming from the connecting rod) I have the oil pan off and I can see up into the engine. I need to get the flywheel off but it won't budge! I made a puller like the manual showed and it bent the 1/2" bolt I used as the "tensioner?" (the piece that presses on the shaft and pulls the flywheel off.) I have soaked it in WD-40 several times and I can't get the darn thing off!

I am extremely frustrated but at the same time somewhat impressed...

Please help me out!

Thanks in advance,
Nate

wallfish

Apply the tension as before and then hit the 1/2" bolt with a hammer to shock it loose

Nathanielperz

How hard should I hit it? I just don't want to crack the block or the flywheel.

-Nate

wallfish

You're hitting the head of the bolt that is in contact with the shaft. DO NOT hit the flywheel or the block! Hit it with as much force as you are comfortable with so you don't miss. Start out with a mild hit and if that doesn't do it, hit it harder.

midpack

agree with wallfish, use a steel hammer to get the most "shock" from the impact. as far as how hard to hit it... it's kind of a feel thing

Nathanielperz

I just tried that... Nothing but I bent the bolt haha.

Nate

squonk

Try PB blaster or Thrust penetrating oil. I've never seen WD work when somethings really stuck

Nathanielperz

well I realized that I can get the piston and connecting rod out through the bottom and I don't need to remove the flywheel unless I need to replace the valves.

C-101plowerpower

you did loosen the flywheel nut did ya? all kidding aside, try a harder bolt and give it a sharp hit, doesn't have to be that hard as long as its a sharp one

Wishin4a416

I never had an issue using an impact wrench set at 120 pounds and a very high quality puller with grade 8 bolts. Pops em right off. If using this method, be sure to protect the end of the crank where it is threaded. I just popped another one off of a 14 last week.

Edited by Wishin4a416
  • Like 2

meadowfield

Just been here last week, swapping flywheels between two k321's.

made a big puller and kept bending it, bought a big harmonic puller...

bent that, turned it around... Heated the flywheel...Bent it the other way :o

reversed it, heated up the flywheel and then hit the bolt with a 4lb hammer (real hard) and it loosened.

did the same to the other flywheel and that popped too. I think the secret is in hitting the puller hard and square!

• Like 1