Fordiesel69

Make a engine flush system?

Fordiesel69

What I have noticed is that most small engines used in the 70's, and 80's have a very thick layer of sludge in the bottom of the oil pans.  This is especially true on the kohler K series single lungers.  What happens is you change the oil, the new fresh detergent starts to wash this off, in which trapped under this sludge is lots of metal from over the years.  This will wear out a good engine in several hunderd hours.  Engines that do not burn oil, will begin to.......

So I have been seperating the engines from the pan, and washing out the engine, and oil pan with a solvent sprayer & rags. 

I would like your input on some kind of pump that can circulate somthing like a stoddard solvent, or the like for a long period overnight.  I am hoping the constant circulating will clean the oil pan, and that way the oil can do the rest slowly.

shallowwatersailor

You might consider acquiring a digital inspection camera. After you circulate the solvent you could check on the results.

I haven't used it to look into a sump but could. I bought one originally for looking inside of engine cooling tins. It actually has seen more use than I expected. I have used it to look inside soffits, spark plug holes, drains, etc., even looking for a lost nut under the workbench!

Coadster32

I think you already found the best way in separating the pan and cleaning it as the way you are. If you circulate all of what you're trying to clean, I think all the stuff you don't like will end up where you already know you don't want it. (If I understand this correctly)

AMC RULES
Seems, the last thing you want to do...   :blink:
is circulate that metal through the engine again. 
  • Like 1

Red-Bovine

Engines without an oil filter system are supposed to use a non detergent oil. Non detergent oil suspends contaminents, clinging them to the bottom and walls of the crankcase, and prevents them from circulating around in the engine and causing damage. By using detergent oil in these engines, you loosen up suspended particulate, allowing it to circulate around the engine, and cause way more damage than just leaving it stuck to the sides and bottom of the crankcase. If you want to disassemble the motor for an occassional cleaning, that's fine, but stick with non detergent oil (no pun intended). Flushing could dislodge material and force it where it could become stuck and do real damage.

Red

• Like 1

rmaynard

Use of non-detergent oil and a minimal amount of sludge in the bottom of the pan is exactly as Kohler intended in the early days. Large amounts of sludge indicates an engine that has not been maintained properly. Kohler did however stop the non-detergent recommendation when additives in oil were improved. The only way to properly removed all the sludge is removal of the pan.

Racinbob

As easy as it is to drop the oil pan that's the only way I'd go about it. Once it's clean regular oil changes = no more sludge. I've used detergent oil in Kohlers for 40+ years.

Fordiesel69

People must adopt & accept that there are no "good quality" non detergent oils made anymore.  If you search any, you will find API service SA, SB, SC at the most.  These will not contain proper antiwear additives to protect these engines.  Looks like manually cleaning is the way to go.  I just hate doing it.