Alex from GA

Won't start.

Alex from GA

I have a '91 212H, mowed some lawn this morning and parked it to get some rocks out of the way.  I went to get some gas, filled it up and went to start it and all it does is crank.  Fuel is getting to the carburetor and I didn't see any spark when I tried to look.  It was pretty sunny to see very well.  The fuses are good.  I'll get back to it in the morning but in the mean time does anyone have any ideas.  Thanks.

gwest_ca

Know the model number? In 1991 they used Briggs & Stratton, Onan and Kawasaki engines in the 212-H.

Garry

KC9KAS

PTO in gear and have a safety switch??
Low oil shut-off?

Alex from GA

Gwest, All it says on the cover is Toro Power Plus Overhead Valve.  I believe it's an Onan.  KC, I'll check those.  The oil level is full.  I was under the impression it wouldn't crank if the interlocks were not locked, not that it wouldn't start.  I just shot some ether in the carburetor and not a lick.  I have a test plug in my shop that I'll get and check for spark.  Thanks guys.

Alex from GA

Here's where I stand now.  I checked for spark and after I connected the seat interlock I had a weak spark with my tester.  It did run but when I engaged the PTO it stalled every time.  I was riding to my shop and it quit running.  I have the cover off the magneto and am going to test the coil.  I disconnected both wires to the coil and it still wouldn't run so that rules out all the stuff in the tractor and leaves the coil or the spark plug if I'm correct.

Alex from GA

I found the coil open and looked for a replacement and it's almost $200 for an NN10730 coil.  I was floored.  I'm retired on a fixed income.  Does anyone know of a different part no. that fits?  Thanks.  Another person asked the same question in 2012 and didn't get an answer.

Fordiesel69

The el cheapo small engine champion plugs you buy at the bog box stores have been complete total junk for the last few years.  Just rule out the plug before pulling your hair out.  I quit buying those hunks of junk after putting brand new ones in, only to replace the mag with no result.  Then switched to another brand and it worked.  Was embarassing to ay the least.

gwest_ca

You saw this?

I see RCPW wants $170 but then you have to add shipping. Very popular engine I think so a used coil should be available.

Garry 

Onan NN10730 ignition coil test SS.jpg

Terry M

The el cheapo small engine champion plugs you buy at the bog box stores have been complete total junk for the last few years.  Just rule out the plug before pulling your hair out.  I quit buying those hunks of junk after putting brand new ones in, only to replace the mag with no result.  Then switched to another brand and it worked.  Was embarassing to ay the least.

Just curious what Brand of plugs you switched to from the champion plugs??    sounds like a good idea:handgestures-thumbupright: