nylyon

Who has a trimmer mower?

nylyon

I am looking at replacing my push mower with a trimmer mower but want to be sure that it will do what I need it to do.

Screen_Shot_2015-06-17_at_5.25.36_PM.thu

I have some hilly areas which I need to use a push mower on, will this work in those areas?  Trying to visualize how I would begin climbing the hill with the cutting edge out so far?

Coadster32

My father had one about 15 years ago. It was good for taking down some really tall grass and light brush on his back hill. Was balanced pretty well, but a hill is still a hill. I did try to "cut the grass" with it, with undesirable results. Hope it helps.

sorekiwi

I have one, but I have never tried to do a finish cut with it.  I only use it to attack high grass and weeds.

It has replaced my sickle mower on the 502.  I have a creek through my property and cutting the banks was always pretty scary with the sickle mower.  The trimmer does the job quicker and with a whole lot less "pucker factor".

shallowwatersailor

I have the same problem and solved it with a Gravely. I would suggest finding a Gravely C-8, or a Gravely LI, or a rare LS with the 30" brush hog. It will operate on a 60 degree slope with the Gravely engine as it has positive filtered lubrication, and the sump is shared with the gearbox. Don't try the Kohler versions which are are just splash lubricated.

tunahead72

Karl, is there any reason you wouldn't want to use a regular hand-held trimmer/brushcutter on those hills?

Edited by tunahead72

nylyon

Ok, so here's the deal.  I usually purchase one of those $100 push mowers to mow the nasty areas of my property.  Yep, they are cheap, don't run well and don't last long which is perfect because they get abused (rocks, hills etc).  My last one is about 7 years old, and while still running the rear wheels are rusting off and are pointing sideways. 

So for fathers day I asked for a new cheap push mower.  Well, the TSC circular comes in the mail today and on the last page there's a sting mower.  So that got me thinking, would THAT be good for what I use the cheap mower for AND I as a trimmer?  Now as a trimmer I think it would be awesome (over-kill, but awesome) but what I have to have is something to mow the areas where a :wh:  could NEVER EVER go.

truckin88

they are a brush hog, thats it. they do not finish mow, they are field mower. They are also violent, would not use around or close to a fence or siding. have had the tsc one, honestly you are better off with a weedwacker and push mower.

boovuc

I have a late 70's LawnBoy 2 stroke Push Mower and a 1980's Utility lawnBoy 2-stroke Push Mower for trimming.
I won't own anything but these lawnboys. Super light weight, 2 stroke so not much to break and no oil to change and they last a long long time!
Aluminum decks don't rot out either though the Utility mower is a steel deck.
I have had both for decades and I use them at camp and at the house mowing just about anything. Watch CraigsList and you can find them really cheap!

nylyon

I am going to pass on the trimmer mower, I don't think that it's going to do what I want.  I like the lawn boy idea, but will probably go with a cheap push mower like I have and just plan to replace it in a few years again.