Sign in to follow this  
Projekt B-60

Transmission drive shaft free play

Projekt B-60

Hello All,

I just installed my freshly powdercoated wheels/tires on my freshly painted Projekt B-60 chasis, however, I noted the following:

Grabbing either the left or right axle by hand, I can move the axles in and out (lateral direction). I am guessing about 1/8" of lateral movement on both sides.

I have an old Raider for spare parts, and it too, displays the same condition.

Is this normal for the axles to have a small amount of lateral movement within the gear case assembly?

Any info greatly appreciated.

-Thank you

JimD

hello. my b-60 and b-80 both have about that amount of movement also, and here are a couple of pics you requested in your email. let me know if you need more. i can take some more later this week. it looks different than yours i'm sure, because it now has an 8hp kohler that had a top mounted gas tank. i moved the tank so i could put the hood back on. no fuel pump, so it is gravity fed.wheelhorsefleet024.jpg[wheelhorsefleet025.jpg

Duff

I don't know if this an apples-and-oranges comparison, but when I rebuilt my 312-8 I encountered the same condition with the axles. One of the experts here told me it's not unusual. :D

Cheers!

Duff :hide:

sorekiwi

Thats a normal amount of play in the axles. There's either a snap ring or a roll pin on the inner end of the axle that keeps it from coming out.

Projekt B-60

Wheeew! I am relieved to know this is a normal condition. I thought I was in deep trouble for a minute. Thank you all for your responses.