Hodge71

Save a Horse, Ride a ....

Hodge71

Towed another one home for the barn today. Had too much room to move I guess and the price was right... Its a 77 or 78 C-81 8 speed that lost the original K-181 and has been repowered with a K-301 12 horsepower. I have been watching this tractor mow for 2 years now. At the end of last year it disappeared and a shiny plastic white and yellow thing showed up in its place. Two weeks ago I had the GT-14 cutting about a half acre up the road from the farm here (Before the steering broke and I had to limp home) where we used to have a building and the neighbor came over and thanked me for keeping it mowed. We spoke for awhile and he commented on seeing many horses about the farm. I asked where his disappeared last year and he said he couldn't get it started 1 weekend and after a local dealer looked at it, said it was junk and promptly sold him a 26 horse  plastic Cub with a bagger. He asked me if I wanted the ol' girl and I told him heck yes. He wouldn't take anything for it because it didnt run. SO I got me a free tractor.... Jeb and I ran up with his Charger 12 tonight and towed it home.... 1 mile home...Literally stole it from my back yard almost. It wont turn over, battery dead, oil in engine is clear and tranny gear lube is clear as well. I can spin the engine with a ratchet so its not seized. Just gotta figure out whats her trouble is.... Not sure what she's going to end up being....Probably a worker restoration. It needs back tires but I have a pretty decent set of old turf Savers for it... Probably paint and definitely some Vinyl Guy specials of the C121 variety. It had headlights at one time so I will get a set as well at the upcoming show hopefully...  Getting the Allied Dethatcher put on her because its a late 70's model. I haven't decided where the 42Rdeck is going either..maybe sell it. Or maybe I'll mow with it...Lord knows the GT-1 4 is broke more than it runs and the 12 should be less fuel compared to the '74 C-160 8 speed... IMG_0200.thumb.JPG.20ea2bc7c7a6b01d8ac63IMG_0201.thumb.JPG.e1c6e8e7417bcce15a985IMG_0202.thumb.JPG.3b078579f36644001b088IMG_0203.thumb.JPG.218ea0e7b5bda30614c67

Edited by Hodge71
  • Like 5

Wheel-N-It
That was a good save Jeff. I would have towed that one two miles with a rear engine wheel horse rider to make that save :)
  • Like 2

Horse46

I bet this never happens in the UK, they are far an few between here. I would love a steal like that.

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Nice tractor.I'm sure nothing seriously wrong with it.The only thing better than a cheap tractor is a FREE tractor.Have fun with your new toy.

muz123

Great save!

953 nut
:woohoo:   Nice find, even has a rear discharge deck, well done!

papaglide

Nice tractor and GREAT save. Deck looks good, tractor looks good. Good deal!

AMC RULES
I know two lucky dogs named...
Jeb&Jeff who live over there in PA.  
:handgestures-thumbsup:  
  • Like 2

Hodge71

I pulled the starter tonight, cleaned and lubricated it with graphite, reinstalled. Pulled the head as well and decarboned both the piston and the head and put her back together. New spark plug and had her running on gas squirted in the carb....til it backfired through the carb, caught the grass and gas on the front axle on fire, then the wooden barn floor... my fire extinguisher disappeared at some point over the winter so I did the only thing I could to put it out...peed on it...Ugh..I know..disgusting...but the fire is out, no damage to anything either, other than my pride. Drained the gas tank overnight, new full filter tomorrow and going to prime the carb and fire it up and see what happens.....WITH A FIRE EXTINGUISHER VERY CLOSE BY!! I can't believe I've gotten 6 emails about mower deck already and I never even said what I was doing with it...lol... More news tomorrow

• Like 4

C-101plowerpower

Really nice save i'd push it home a couple miles if i had to:)

• Like 2

AMC RULES
:text-yeahthat:       :clap:       :text-+1:
  • Like 1

varosd

Jeff,
         reading about your fire fighting adventure almost had me peeing my pants!  LOL:)
at least you didn't reach for a open container of "liquid" and have it turn out to be paint thinner etc!!
hope to see you at the Big Show!

Wheel-N-It
:text-yeahthat:

:clap:

:text-+1:

I probbably would too but only late in the afternoon when it cools down. Right now its 92 degrees here but it feels like 100 !!!

• Like 1

Hodge71

Well it definitely needs a battery but I got it running yesterday and it sounds like no Kohler I've ever heard. It has its share of problems I would say. It wont start on its own but if I shoot gas into the carb to get it started it will run forever then.  It doesn't smoke at all, when I pulled the head I noticed the cylinder isn't polished either so I would say it has potential....but it knocks like a 2 stoke Detroit Diesel...I made a video of it but youtube wont let me upload it. Im going to upload it on here but I have a feeling nobody will be able to see it unless they use Apple or if they dont have Quicktime.

I need some direction I guess. The tractor is solid, but considering how it knocks, Im nervous about its engine integrity. Next problem is the carb. I cleaned it but like I said, it doesn't start without a spurt of gas into the carb on startup then it runs as long as I want it to. It doesn't like to throttle up quickly, it basically stutters and shuts right off. It wont idle either. Im not sure how much of that is carb related or engine related. If I slowly increase or decrease the throttle it will run just fine and the deck will engage as well.  I didn't actually pull the carb off to clean it proper. I just wanted to see it run. Do I save this girl or part it out? The deck is in great shape. I had it running yesterday and the spindles are dead silent, might be quieter than my current 42RD. It needs a height handle assembly and anti-scalp roller and gauge wheels too. I have back tires for the tractor if I keep it and Im sure I can find a headlight bucket and bezel at the big show. I'll take more pics today and post them tonight. IMG_0211.MOV

chip61

That actually looks better than my "parts tractor" that I got running. I'm going to keep it and maybe clean it up and paint it. I think you couldn't go wrong even if you have to rebuild/replace the motor. I would pull the carb apart and give it a good cleaning. 

Hodge71

Well I got it kinda running and driving on its own. It still wont start without a shot of gas in the carb and then it runs for quite sometime before things go awry FAST. It shudders sounds like its loaded down pulling a Peterbuilt and then just dies..I still didnt take the carb off to rebuild it. I guess I should just do it and see what gives... Im posting a couple more pics of the tractor and the strange 42"RD deck. A couple of boobtube videos as well to watch and listen to the knock/clank thing its got going on.... IMG_0213.thumb.JPG.81e265496a8a633c1a3c1IMG_0214.thumb.JPG.e800d44647d914d8eb145IMG_0215.thumb.JPG.0bfd8cdee727281ed208dIMG_0216.thumb.JPG.f7d1007f31e8da78c4e4c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUk6BGKXq1U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyvnk3BEMaA