Sign in to follow this  
JimD

1974 b-80

JimD

hi all. my b-80 lurches really hard when i let out the clutch. when i restored it, i put a new drive belt on it. i don't know how it was before the restore cause i never drove it before that. now i'm wondering if there is a tranny or rearend problem. it seems no matter how easy i release the clutch, it just comes all at once. wants to go wheels up. maybe i just need a wheelie bar? :hide: any ideas? thanks, jim.

sorekiwi

A new clutch spring usually helps this a bit. They're about $6 from your Toro dealer....

Is your belt an OEM or aftermarket? A lot of guys swear by Toro belts. :hide:

JimD

i bought the belt at a local dealer. they used to be a wheelhorse dealer, but now they sell white. they do still have or can get wheelhorse parts though. so i don't really know what they sold me. i didn't specifically ask for a wheelhorse brand belt. i do think the spring is stretched now that you mention it. thanks.

KyBlue

If it was a OE belt, it'd say Toro on the bag.. Id replace the spring - cheap thing to try.

BPjunk

Jim,

You might want to check for loose or worn woodruff keys in the axle hubs and drive pullies.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

JimD

thanks guys, i will check out all of your suggestions, jim.

Duff

Jim, are the pulleys clean? When I rebuilt my 312-8 I didn't bother to wire brush the pulley grooves which were a little rusty and the first time I let out the clutch with a new belt I learned rather quickly just what kind of torque these beasts have got! :D

Just my two cen :hide: ts!

Duff

JimD

thanks duff, it was a frame off restoration, which i may do again cause i wasn't happy with the paint. my first one, and i could have worked a lot harder on it.

so all the pullies and eveything were cleaned before painting. i'm gonna check out all suggestions and drain and run some kero through it then refill with 90 wt. gear lube. maybe that will help too. here's a pic.

wheelhorsefleet018.jpg

Duff

Really nice looking machine, Jim! Hope the solution comes quickly!

Duff :hide:

wallfish

Hi Jim,

When you cleaned and painted the pulleys, did you paint the grooves? I made that mistake on a tiller. When I started the motor it smoked one of the belts right off. Then when I pulled the handle it broke another. After cleaning the paint off the grooves it was OK.

JimD

hi wallfish. no, i didn't paint the grooves. i was really careful about that. i'm pretty sure if i follow all this good advice i'll get it to calm down a bit. thanks.

dgjks6

on my 312 I has the same problem. The belt guard was bent and when disengaged the belt would go outside of it and when I let go of the clutch the belt was in the wrong place until there was enough tension on it, then BAM it would snap past the guard and engage all at once. Scared me a few times when going up a hill.

Greg

kpinnc

Jim,

One thing I'd make sure of is that ANY drive belt you use on a Wheel Horse is the cloth covered type. The regular rubber belts grip too much, and will cause wheelies. A dealer may just use a cross reference table and get the size only...

A 520-H may be an exception to that rule, but only because there is no Belt release for starting the tractor.

Kevin