mikeeyre74

Transmission dipstick doesn't fit right?

mikeeyre74

If you can see it in the pics there, my 8 speed unidrive transmission dipstick doesn't fit down on the.. Whatever you'd call that plastic piece that it's supposed to fit into to seal. The rubber seal is sort of flared out now and it just kind of rests on the top of the filler neck thing there. Clearly, this can't be right? But I can't figure out what's wrong with the dipstick.. Nothing seems to move or be anything goes other than just expanded out some how? What gives?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Racinbob

I'm not certain but I believe that should be an O-ring slip inside the fill tube.

gwest_ca

It takes quite a hard two-handed push and turn to get mine in. From what I remember it looks the same as yours.

A twist is also required to pull it out if it has been in for a while.

Garry

doc724

Put a small internal bevel into the dipstick tube as a lead in for the seal.  Also, make sure the seal is lubed with oil.  If it is dry you will never get it in!

Pollack Pete

Just had the same problem with my new to me C-175.I pried the round rubber part out of the dipstick and very gently touched the raised portion to my grinder wheel.Put it back in the dipstick and now it fits all the way  into the tube .

• Like 1

mikeeyre74

You ground down the *rubber* part??

pacer

FWIW - that is evidently a quite common problem. I know all of the tractors I have are this way to one degree or another, some will go in with a firm push and others dont want to go in at all. Some day?? I keep telling myself, I'm gonna try and find a solution! I like Petes solution, I think I'll have a go at that.

wrightorchid

Any reason why some of these are short, next to the case, and others are longer?  These are not easy to remove.

wallfish

Remove the plastic tube from the trans and drill into the dipstick end with a Unibit to remove just a little bit of material. I've done this quite a few times and also do this to shorten the tubes for custom tractors where the long tube won't fit.
Unibit Cobalt Step Drill