JimmyZ

1963 Chevrolet Corvair

AMC RULES
Very nice, but be careful...   :wacko:
I've heard them things are unsafe at any speed.  Edited by Big Show or Bust.
  • Like 1

whtractors24

Dave push it to its limits with the top down. Lol:deadhorse:

Sparky

Nice car....I really like the trim rings and baby moon hubcaps.
Mike.........

KC9KAS

Just in case the younger crowd doesn't understand.

Ralph Nader came to prominence in 1965 with the publication of his book Unsafe at Any Speed, a critique of the safety record of American automobile manufacturers in general, and most famously the first-generation Chevrolet Corvair. In 1999, a New York University panel of journalists ranked Unsafe at Any Speed 38th among the top 100 pieces of journalism of the 20th century.

• Like 1

tunahead72

Very nice, JimmyZ.  My wife and I had a '65 500 many years ago, the first car we bought together after we were married.  It was one of the most fun cars to drive that we ever owned, never mind what Nader said.  Are yours drivers, or for show?

squonk

I had a 67 Monza about 20 yrs ago. That car looks familiar. Was the owner a guy named Ron? Where abouts did you pick it up? 

JimmyZ

Both cars are/were drivers. I picked up the black Corvair in New Jersey. The red Covair came from Louisanna.

Ken B

Nice! My mother in law had one brand new back in the day and she loved it! I WILL be driving this one...

stevasaurus

You don't see many of those anymore.  Thanks for the pictures.  I remember working on them back in my service station days...like the first time I changed out a fan belt.  :)

• Like 2

squonk

Those "Turbo Airs" were always popping the belt. I think Clark's Corvair Parts has some kind of a retro kit to help solve the problem. My Monza had the 2 spd. "Glide" You would be doing 50 and by the sound of the engine you thought you were doin 100! :) I had to keep a small hammer under the seat. If I went around corners too fast the left side carb. would flood! :)

illinilefttackle
My High School Buddy & I drove his 1963 Corvair to New Orleans & back before we were to go off to College in summer of 63. He was going to Indiana & I was reporting to Champaign Ill. and the Fighting Illini. We didn't, have any trouble with the car the whole way. Saw Al Hirt on Bourbon Street- drank a HURRICANE, and picked up another Mishawaka Grad ( that we didn't even know was going to Orleans too)-up off the street, by a bar, he had been thrown out by the bouncer! We were not  rowdy guys- Honest!-----Thanks- Good Luck--Nice Car!- Al
  • Like 2

squonk

Back in the day of the Monza we had 9 Vairs in out little town of 3500 people and 3800 dogs.:) We just had a Memorial Day car show and there was a 63 wagon and I don't recall the year but it was one of those Greenbrier vans

th.thumb.jpg.cc30570a23dbd7e63ee4d1653f0

953 nut
Eat your hart out Ralph Nader!   :ROTF:    Nice rides, thanks for sharing.

RedRanger

Screw Nader!

DougL3

If you can keep the fan belt on, you're ahead of the game!

Ken B

Joey, where is the video? C'mon already! If I come up do I get to take it for a ride or what?

boovuc

We had two Corvairs growing up. My father's 1961 with the dash-mounted "Thumb Selector" and a very nice "64" 4 speed. No heat in the winter! Fumes in all seasons and a really cool car to drive. I always wanted a Monza-Spider! 

Wheel-N-It

Nice car. My Mom had a ( I think it was a 1963)  Monza with twin carbs and a 4spd. Her younger Sister took it for a drive one day and told me it would run 110mph. I never did tell lMom about that. LOL

tunahead72

That reminds me of the time we took ours to the mechanic we trusted the most with our 'Vair for a tune-up.  This guy Charlie was really good, and knew these cars inside and out.  When we picked it up, he took me aside, smiled and proudly said "She'll see three numbers".  And she did, more than once. :)

• Like 2

grnlark

Nader is an idiot. The Corvair is not the death trap he tried to make it out to be. Its still safer than a Pinto and safer than a motorcycle. Great looking cars and fun to drive. My father had a '65.