Jparkes43

HELP! At the end of my sanity with this thing

Jparkes43

OK. i am literally done with this thing after a carb teardown, thorough clean and put back together and the settings all corrected i am still having no luck i am still at the same point as i was yesterday i tired a variation throttle/choke positions AND fuel mixtures. I am out of ideas. Please help  :(​ 

james

stevasaurus

Did you check the float adjustment...both up and down??   Are you getting good gas flow through the fuel pump??  Great pictures James.

If it was me, I would get the $20 E-Bay carb and give the carb you have to Richard to rebuild.  I don't think you want to throw out that original carb.  Besides, you can't have too many Tecumseh carburetors on the shelf.  :)

• Like 3

slammer302

the 20$ ebay carb worked for me mine old carb had a small hole in it that let the float fill up with gas. I would also un bolt the head and decarbon the valves and make sure they are sealing good had this problem on my brothers 657 it would not run right at all and gas keep blowing out the carb it was the intake valve

• Like 2

neil

Do you know if the techumseh engine has solid state ignition , as I have heard that once the ignition fails it can be really difficult to get these to work again . And the ignition parts are hard to get hold off ,  maybe you could consider installing a Kohler engine in if the problem persists.
good luck

Jparkes43

im not sure on that neil. but thanks everyone much help it is greatly appreciated. erm i have considered it, its just the cost/ finding the right one etc and will it hurt the originality?

james

stratostar250

James, I have a 656 with a HH60.  It has an electric start.  When I first got it, the starter did not work, and so I pulled that thing over until my hand hurt.  I totally understand your pain.  I fixed the starter, and got it running with a LOT of cranking and tinkering, and I have only gotten it to run about 3-4 times.  I was reading your thread earlier and I saw how Steve mentioned to put two tractors together, put a flip in the belt to make sure that you are turning the engine over the right way, and put tension between them, and it turns the engine over.  I did this today and I got the tractor running multiple times (after it dying a few :snooty:).  I know you said the only other tractor you have available is a vertical shaft, but I feel like you should still give this a try(even with the vert shaft tractor, you would only have to flip the belt 90 degrees instead of 180 :handgestures-thumbupright:).  I was amazed at how easy it was.  The starter, even with a good battery just couldn't turn the tractor over fast enough, and consistent enough to get the tractor started easily.  I really think you should give this a try.  I wouldn't worry about the other tractor being a vertical shaft, just make sure you loop the belt so it spins the little techy the right way.  Good luck!  :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

Jparkes43

ok, i am literally in so so much pain my hands/arms are just argh. ok i see, ok i might give it a go. thanks

james

Jparkes43

but i mean even if i do manage to get it spining etc it will probably not work still it wont make it run properly will it?

james

stratostar250

Getting it running is the first step though! Whether it runs bad or good, as long as you can get it running, that's a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Hello, so today i wasted no time taking the engine apart, so got the cooling shroud etc off, but i removed the flywheel nut and then reattached it as i know thats recommended and cant seem to get it off, any help/advice? but on another note i got the head off an this is what i found. 

IMG_1369_zps8smk7a2j.jpg

IMG_1371_zpsu5y8e9ce.jpg

IMG_1372_zpsvliyrn6i.jpg

IMG_1373_zpsjc0kp51x.jpg

IMG_1374_zpszgxdl5y7.jpg

IMG_1375_zpsg7glf57b.jpg

IMG_1376_zpsjrprqwo4.jpg

james

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

Looks like you've got a bit of work to do there James.

Jparkes43

yes it does. but im sure i can do it

james

Jparkes43

Hello, this is another step in the right direction, let me know where from here as im a little bit ermm.

IMG_1382_zpsupmvtn1l.jpg

IMG_1383_zpsxdemunyh.jpg

IMG_1384_zpspwsz9yw0.jpg

IMG_1385_zpsqwzfactg.jpg

IMG_1386_zpsaubcwm2j.jpg

IMG_1387_zpslgicd30c.jpg

IMG_1388_zpscxwwqzwt.jpg

IMG_1389_zps69zzmers.jpg

IMG_1391_zpssp0m6fu4.jpg

james

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Well i found the points. does this help you?

IMG_1392_zpso9mlu7gi.jpg

IMG_1393_zpspgc3rewv.jpg

IMG_1394_zps8mzajcl0.jpg

James

james

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I havent followed along the previous posts too carefully, but have you checked compression?

Looks like a lot of oil is getting up into the head for some reason, probably past the piston rings... You may have too little compression to make it run and will be due for a machine shop and full rebuild...

Also, theres oil on the head gasket, did it run there after you took the head off or was it there already? Could have a bad head gasket too...

Not an engine guy, but just giving my :twocents-twocents:.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Oh and it looks like you need a new flywheel key. Cant tell from the pictures, but the crankshaft keyway looks a bit ate up too. Hopefully a new one will sit in there without much play.

Good luck!

Jparkes43

hello. thanks for the great information, yes they key and keyway are pretty mangeled. no it hasn't run since removing the head and no i haven't checked for compression but it does feel quite heavy to pull. i mean a manchine shop is a idea but after a long hard days work of cleaning in the head on the valves etc and other stuff. i have no more luck i am still at the same point. so i just want to really take it to a small engine / agricultural place just because they can positively say what is wrong. 

james

Jparkes43

but really what do you guyssay.

james

slammer302

i think your heading at step in the right direction 

stevasaurus

I'd like to see what somebody that really knows engines has to say.  I think the machine or small engine shop is the way to go at this point.  I'm thinking there is gas mixed with that oil under the head.  No way that engine was going to start with all that laying there.  I'm just wondering how expensive it is going to be because it is a Tecky.  We have a few threads that tell how to clean all that up without getting stuff in the rings or under the valves...I find them if you don't know where they are.  :)
Point gap...  0.020
spark plug gap...  0.030

• Like 1

Jparkes43

i may be heading in the right direction but no idea where to go next.

thanks steve but i dont fancy paying too much. i cleaned all that out today and still no luck. yeah teckies i do feel an engine swap possibly. ok thanks i didnt think of the gaps is that in inches?

james 

stevasaurus

Yes it is in inches.  Sounds like you cleaned the head and block.  In case you did not...here is a link.  :)
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/55913-can-somebody-told-me-through-removing-the-head-and-cleaning-the-carbon-in-a-k-341-s/

• Like 1

Jparkes43

yeah here are some photos i forgot to upload.

IMG_1377_zpshrz8yvey.jpg

IMG_1378_zps6wzivpz1.jpg

IMG_1379_zpsnycgjwxx.jpg

IMG_1380_zpsblavpg0v.jpg

also this was the first clean, i did many more after this.

james

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You've been busy today.  I keep forgetting about the 6 hours difference we have.  Looks nice.  Great pictures.  :)

C-101plowerpower

might want to get one of these 152078307.jpg

Edited by C-101plowerpower