chorusguy

can somebody told me through removing the head and cleaning the carbon in a k 341 s

chorusguy

Poor running k 341 s. I am replacing the points and the condenser and the spark plug but read that carbon buildup could be part of the problem so I want to take the head off and clean the carbon any help?

Kelsey

Try using, how to decarbonize  lawn mower head, on the YouTube site.

rmaynard

Download the Kohler K-Series Service Manual from our download section. Read about how to remove and clean the head.

K-Series Service Manual

Page 3.4 covers cleaning. Torque specs are listed near the front of the manual when you go to reassemble.

Fordiesel69

Quick way:

1.  Remove head and using a razor blade get as mush off as possible.  Get a brass wire wheel for a drill and remove the rest, rinse with carb cleaner.
2.  Place piston to bottom of cylinder and tape the top of the piston to cylinder wall to prevent carbon from jamming into the groove.
3.  Decarbon the valves and deck surface, in addition to the ridge on the cylinder.  Use steel wool or corse sandpaper to really get the ridge clean.
4.  Vacuum or use compressed air to get carbon out of cylinder.  Remove tape.
5.  Apply a decent amount of grease to the lowest part of cylinder and move piston to top.
6.  Clean top of piston until clean.
7.  Begin to lower piston in very small increments and wipe away carbon ridges and grease.  Each time you do this, the grease left will be less.  It takes about 7-8 times.
8.  Oil the ridge slightly and reassemble with new gasket.