Influencer88

Not turning over with key

Influencer88

So little update on the 312-8. Seems I can't keep up with this thing. Was having an intermittent spark issue before, ordered a replacement coil and everything worked great. Cut grass with it the past 2 weeks with zero issues (aside from needing to re-level the deck).

I go out to cut grass yesterday and turn the key....nothing. Doesn't even try to turn over. Thinking the battery may be dead I test it, battery tests fine. I use some jumper cables to jump to the starter and doing so she fires right up and runs fine. Turn the key off and it shuts down like expected. Try to start with key..nothing.

I know the ignition switch could be going bad, but what else should I check?

Really wanting to find a cheap mower to use so I can take this one out of commission to run through the whole thing cleaning things up so I can see everything thats there and any possible issues.

groundhog47

Not sure if 312 has, but starter relay (if has one) can be jumped across from batt to start side to check. Also check for a good clean ground on relay (if has one) . Any active safety switch (open condition or closed ground condition) could also cause a no starter engage condition. Clutch, seat and PTO are normal locations for a switch on other models. Sometimes simple unplug can verify (if a ground switch), but would need a jumper for a closed (continuity) switch.  I see you are searching electrical now which is a good start

Edited by groundhog47

tunahead72

My first guess would be either the clutch or PTO interlock switch.  Next time it won't start, try engaging and then disengaging the PTO a couple of times, then try to start it again.  Same with the clutch pedal if that doesn't work.

When you say your battery tests fine, what 's the voltage when it's just sitting there resting?

buckrancher

PTO and CLUTCH switch's also if you have a LOW OIL SENSER on the motor all of these will keep it from starting if your battery voltage is OK it's one of those three

Brian