GlenPettit

Help! Need help with engine problem.

GlenPettit

Way past due tilling our garden, and several neighbor's too.
My C-160 will start fine, sounds and runs excellent; it will run and I can till for 2 minutes, then she quits, abruptly.
Fresh gas, new gas filter, screen in tank was cleaned, wiped inside of carb bowl, air filter very clean, fresh oil.
Will restart right away, but only run 30 seconds, then next time 10 seconds;  if I let it set an hour, it will start and
run agian for 2 minutes . . . just enough time to till just one 40' roll . . . then I wait an hour, repeat, just one roll.
This tractor has over 500# of weight in and on the four tires, plus tiller, very hard to move when 'dead'.  
Been trying for a month now, help, help, help.    Please, suggestions . . . ?       Glen Pettit   

IMG_0125.JPG

rmaynard

Just a guess, but have you tried loosening the gas tank cap to see if the vent is clogged and you are pulling a vacuum?

• Like 3

Don1977

Check the fuel pump!

• Like 1

Shuboxlover

Also check you ignition system (points, condenser, coil)

• Like 1

nylyon

If it's restarting right away, I lean towards ignition, coil / condenser.  Condenser is a under rated item, I once had a 700+HP 440+6 act like a Yugo because of a failed condenser!

• Like 1

daveoman1966

The symptoms you post are typical of a failed condenser, when it gets just a little bit hot.  Replace it ......

• Like 2

squonk

Can you just start it up and run it with the hood open and then the engine dies? If so you can get a nice cheap inline spark tester from Napa. Start it up and watch the spark indicator. When it quits and the spark goes away, then you know it's ignition/ Electrical and not fuel.

• Like 2

buckrancher

easy to change the condenser it's on the out side of the motor

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Got and installed a new Kohler condenser (#230722-S, $22), but have not seen any improvement, now the C-160 will not run more than about 30 seconds before quitting, with or without the load/tiller.  Double checked and cleaned all related systems I can think of, again.  
Something I forgot to mention is that the battery is dead and I have to jump it from my 312 each time to start it.  Any chance the battery could be a factor, –– will get & install a new battery tomorrow.    
Again, any help, suggestions and advice is very much appreciated.   
Glen

IMG_0126.JPG

squonk

Yes it could be related. I'm not sure with Kohler charging systems but on a lot of cars, if the battery voltage is too low, the alternator will not activate.

• Like 1

rmaynard

You cannot run that tractor without a battery. If the battery is dead, the engine will stop. Try another battery.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Yup, you found the problem. I'd suggest checking the charging system when you install the new battery. 

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Not sure about yours Glenn but the three prong regulators have to have 12 volts on the center post to putcharging voltage back to the battery.

• Like 1

GlenPettit
OMG !     Everything works perfect now, since I installed a new battery,
why did I wait so long (just trying to be cheap I guess), all I needed was
this new battery to make everything work perfect, like it should.
Got my garden tilled and 3 others all today, and I've been down since last summer.
I sure got a whole lot smarter now,  thanks to everyone.
Glen

• Like 2

wrightorchid

I love it when a plan comes together.  The knowledge on this forum is amazing.  The best part is that even though folks are all over the country, it is like having a nice neighbor that can help. 

• Like 1