wholdguy

Need Help with Mower Deck Parts, 42" SD

wholdguy

I need help, my first time trying to make repairs on a mower deck.
Using this mower deck Model # 5-1001 on the 1970 Charger 12,   it's been running very noisy and it's time to make some repairs.

First problem is the # 94 6738 v-belt running the blades.  It's cut and cracked and ready to break.  Where can I buy this belt?
IMAG0444_(361x640).thumb.jpg.af52a01047a
Second problem is the # 15 5877 right blade pulley.  The inner hole is rounded and doesn't hold the pulley, so it doesn't spin the blade.  Where can I buy one?
IMAG0449_(640x450).thumb.jpg.47b571a268b
Third problem is the # 12 101480 upper bearings are loose and need replacing.  Where can those be found? 

Fourth problem is the bottom shaft bushings are loose and need replacing.  Where can those be found?

gwest_ca

Here is a parts list
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/3046-mower-rotary-42in-sd-1972-5-1001-om-iplpdf/

You can enter a part number here and if it comes up priced for Toro Consumer it should be available from any Toro dealer.
http://www.partstree.com/parts/

Your best and most economical source for bearings is an industrial supply, bearing shop or Napa. Post the numbers you need and we may have some generic numbers for them.

An original Toro belt is usually the best buy.

Garry

gwest_ca

101480 may be generic # 1630-2RS but take the old one with you to make sure it is a match.
Don't know what you mean by bottom shaft bushings.
6738 is still a good number at Toro.

Used pulley may be your best bet. The 2844 special washer should be replaced since the pulley failed. Should change them all.

Garry

wholdguy

Garry, thanks for all of the suggestions.

I live in a rural area so my options for parts houses and poor.  But we do have NAPA, Fastenal, Fleet Farm and then the local Toro repair centers.  I will give some of them a try tomorrow.

The sleeve bearing at the bottom of the spindle housing is # 3   1508 needle bearing.

Thanks
G.

gwest_ca

I think the 1508 is a Torrington B-1212 which is now supplied by SKF bearings. Try Napa on that one.

Garry

Shuboxlover

I believe I have a pulley

wholdguy

Shuboxlover -- 

I hope you can find the pulley for me,  This mower is dead in the water without a pulley.  My good pulley is marked  5877  .  Is that what yours shows?  You may send email to me at   cleeko at tds.net.  Thank you.

Garry -- I will try that bearing number at NAPA.  Thank you.

G.

daveoman1966

I have ALL the pulleys, bearings, and drive belt you will need to repair this deck to fully functional.  Red Sq is a great place to find parts and I find it MUCH EASIER to send pics and details back and forth using conventional Emails.  To facilitate that, send me an OFF-SITE email so I can capture your email address, then forward some pics and details to you in that format.  My direct email is:
daveoman@windstream.net
clik that link to send me a message with short note and I will make a prompt reply. 
ps...here is the schematic of deck 5-1001 
BTW...  Here is a COMPLETELY REBUILT spindle for this deck.  It has NEW bearings TOP and BOTTOM, as well as a new grease tube and zerk in the top. 
Send me an email for more details.... I can probably rebuild the spindles you have with new bearings. 

5-1001.gif

CAST (1).JPG

CAST (3).JPG

CAST (5).JPG

Edited by daveoman1966
added info

wholdguy

Thanks all for help and suggestions.

My parts are on the way and I will be searching for a couple of grease zerks to replace broken parts.
I sent the blades out for sharpening today and I hope to be back mowing again by the end of the week before the place looks like a hay field.

G.

wholdguy

The mower deck is finished tonight.  I rebuilt 2 spindle towers, replaced a pulley, replaced a belt and sharpened the blades.  Also replaced a broken zerk on a tower with a pound-in style. Then installed the deck back on the Charger and went out mowing to test it out.  Cuts very well now and it runs so much quieter!  

This was a time consuming job, doing this for the first time, but next time will be so much easier.

G.