Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Windows 7 license needed

nylyon

I have a need for a Windows 7 RETAIL license.  As you all know I do a lot of testing on the forum, and I need Windows 7 for my testing.  Because I do not have a P.C. I require a retail license for Windows 7 so I can run it in a virtual machine.

Putting it out there, but if anyone happens to have an unused RETAIL Windows 7 license, I can pay you for it.

WNYPCRepair

Can't use OEM?

nylyon

My request is two fold, I want to use it for work as well, and that requires a retail license, not oem.

WNYPCRepair

I'm not following you. A retail license can only be used on one PC, an OEM license is intended to be used on a PC that you built yourself. In reality, retail is no longer available, so many people are using OEM for whatever they need. While not strictly legal, Microsoft isn't all that concerned, since you at least paid for a license. Newegg.com has Windows 7 Pro and probably still has Home Premium too. Windows 7 Pro is $139, with the occasional sale pf $15 to $20 off. 

WNYPCRepair

This may help:

Section 3d of both the OEM and Retail licenses of the versions I checked (Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Home Premium) state:

• d. Use with Virtualization Technologies. Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer.

Since the original poster’s machine is the licensed computer, will be running Ubuntu as a host OS, and have Windows running in a single virtual machine on a virtual hardware system on the same licensed computer, then according to this, it is okay.

Intellectual Property and End User License Terms – Microsoft

WNYPCRepair

PM me, I can probably help.