jsp_333

418-8 Questions pre purchase

jsp_333

I'm looking at picking up a 418-8 low hours good price etc.  I believe these were only made in 1987.
On the unit I'm looking at the hood has "engine cooling vents" .  I've never seen these before on a 400 series tractor.
Or a 300 for that matter. Why does the 418-8 have them? 
They don't have Onan engines do they? The engine in the photos doesn't look like my Kohler in the 414-8. 

Any known issues to look for/  be aware of,  other then the obvious... black smoke, oil caked on engine.

It has ridiculously low hours - 287 - how difficult are those meters to alter?
That being said, the seller, at first glance, appears to be straight up.
Thanks

John

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

This thread may answer some questions, although concerning the 417-8: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/6383-how-many-were-made/

This talks about the differences between the 417-A vs. 418-A: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/42766-what-are-the-differences-in-417a-vs-418a/#comment-499283

It appears that Wheel Horse installed louvered hoods on the "premium" models. I believe that it was strictly for looks. Regarding the hour meter, it could be a replacement; disconnected for a period of time; not working; - or correct.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

bmsgaffer

Your Kohler in your 414 is a single cylinder Magnum or K series. The 18hp was a magnum twin which bares no resemblance whatsoever to the single cylinder models of any style. :handgestures-thumbupright:

You should be able to tell pretty well if the 2xx hours are accurate. First thing would be to check that when you start it, the meter is currently working. Second, if it was stored in a garage this thing oughta be pretty mint (though many owners have been known to do more damage in less time than that). If it was stored outside you will see sun damage on the body but mechanically everything should be pretty tight. Seat should be in good to great shape. I bought a 91 520 with 500 hours on it and the seat only had two small cracks...

The best way to tell would be to get into the engine and see what kind of wear and carbon build up it has, but I wouldn't do that if its running well. Not worth the effort.

Good luck! From what I hear that 18hp Kohler is a beast.

dennist

I had a really nice cond 418-8 and it was a terrific tractor. Ran very smooth and just a really nice feeling tractor to be on. If the price is right, that is even better. I have seen a few for sale since, but none in good condition at a good price. Good luck

jsp_333

Thanks for the feedback all.
Been told it was only used for snow in winter that's why the low hours.  And stored indoors of course.
Just booked the u haul trailer and am crossing my fingers as it's a 4 hours North from Toronto.
Comes with blower and cab and 42 inch deck.
Looks like I'm going to need another rear quick hitch assembly.
Want to put her right to work, got a big amount of soil to till/ grade/ move.
Pics to follow If all goes well tomorrow.

snowhound

I have a 418-8 and it's my go to machine I use it for tilling, mowing, blowing snow and any heavy hauling that's needed.  I know for a fact that it wasn't treated very well by the previous owner and had a had life but even with that misstreament it has served me well with only normal upkeep, regular oil changes, plug and filter replacement  and a good bath when needed.  I would get another one if I could find one.
Just my two cents worth..

Ed

jsp_333

What a disappointment!!!
Drove a long way for nothing.  Could even be bothered to take photos of the carnage.
Tractor didn't sound too bad but asthetically pleasing it was not.
Supposed to have been stored inside and not used for the past 10 years.
The rust had eaten clear thru portions of the body.  The rest was just rusty.
The blower auger looked like a prop run thru shallow rocky unknown waters. The boat guys will know what I'm talking about.
And the kicker was the low hours on the engine - shallowwatersailer was right - the meter wasn't working so don't know hour many hours on her.
She did sound like a beast however.
In the end couldn't reconcile what I was being told with what I was looking at.  Man, I wanted that tractor.

shallowwatersailor

What a disappointment!!!
Drove a long way for nothing.  Could even be bothered to take photos of the carnage.
Tractor didn't sound too bad but asthetically pleasing it was not.
Supposed to have been stored inside and not used for the past 10 years.
The rust had eaten clear thru portions of the body.  The rest was just rusty.
The blower auger looked like a prop run thru shallow rocky unknown waters. The boat guys will know what I'm talking about.
And the kicker was the low hours on the engine - shallowwatersailer was right - the meter wasn't working so don't know hour many hours on her.
She did sound like a beast however.
In the end couldn't reconcile what I was being told with what I was looking at.  Man, I wanted that tractor.

​It's a shame that you traveled all that way for nothing - but luckily you walked away from a tractor that would be good just for parts or a "Money Pit." To help you reconcile with being disappointed, you gained additional knowledge and another tractor WILL ALWAYS come along. What is bad/good is when three come up in succession - and you buy them all!