Solex

No spark Magnum 12

Solex

Having no spark issues with my project Magnum 12. I replaced the Ignition Module but it appears that it is defective or that I applied unwanted voltage and fried the thing. I unplugged the kill wire but still no spark. Any suggestions? Is there any other components that could bee bad.

gwest_ca

If you unplugged the kill wire next to the engine that rules out the safety switches being at fault.
Have a spark tester or another spark plug to try?

Garry

Solex

The seat and  clutch  switch have been taped closed. The spark plug is also new, but I will try another.

Solex

Swapped out another ignition module, still no spark, so I suspect it might be one the two PTO switches. Is there a way to  bypass all the switches like you can do with the older K engines. For example running a jumper to the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil? The Magnum engines has the ignition module and does not have a terminal marked positive.

gwest_ca

NO NO NO

Don't put any battery power to the coil. That's what burns them up.

There is a single wire going from the ignition to the M terminal on the ignition switch. If that wire is grounded it shuts the ignition off. Open circuit or not connected the engine should run. To shut the engine off ground that ignition wire to the chassis. That's the way the safety switches control the ignition. They ground the wire to the chassis if the safe status is violated.

Don't know what model you are working on but will guess 1/2 of the pto switch and the seat switch are the safety switches in the ignition circuit.
The other 1/2 of the pto switch and the clutch or neutral switch control the starter circuit.

Garry

Solex

How sweet it is, I have spark! That worked Gary and my $60.00 new module is not fried. Thank You Very Much. So that tells me that one of the switches is causing the problem. I am thinking that it could be one of the two PTO switches, but you never know.

Solex

It was one of the PTO switches, the bottom one needs to be closed, problem solved. Thanks Garry for your help.