kaiser

HOOD SWAP on a 400 series

kaiser

as much as I love my gt1600 I'm not too keen on the 300/400/500 series hoods.
has anyone put an older hood on one of these?
what hoods do you guys think would fit?

this is nothing I'm going to do right away, maybe over the winter if I even do it.

bmsgaffer

im doing a swap from a 520 to a blackhood.

You have to swap the hood, and the entire hoodstand (where the hood meets up to). The tunnel works on the blackhood series but you will have to get clever on the older red hood C series. That uses a fairly different tunnel but its the same frame for the most part (maybe other than some hole locations).

I think if you are going to an older than blackhood style, it would be easier to just transplant whatever is good on the GT into the older tractor...

nmassey02

I was in the same situation you are/were in. I didn't like the looks of my 520. So I'm putting the motor and soon the rear end from the 520 onto a c-100. It sounds crazy, but it seemed easier to me, to do it that way verses putting the old metal on the 520.

kaiser

lol, sounds like too much of a project to me. I've already got a c series 8 pinion transaxle in my 400 series.
I wish the original owner still had the c series he pulled that from, but he doesn't.
I guess i'll just leave it be. thanks for the info guys.

baerpath

If I remember right  3 bolts, hood, and upper hood stand with the steering still in it and move the cables over. If you have the parts about half an hr to do it 

bmsgaffer

If I remember right  3 bolts, hood, and upper hood stand with the steering still in it and move the cables over. If you have the parts about half an hr to do it 

​What series are you talking about?

Even my Blackhood conversion was not that easy...

nmassey02

Believe it or not the 520 & the c-100 frames are nearly identical. The onan bolted right up with no problems and no hole drilling. The 520 has a little different steering style but they mount basically the same. 

baerpath

​What series are you talking about?

Even my Blackhood conversion was not that easy...

​Swapped a ugly 312-8 to be a C125-8.  I  cheated I used a air ratchet 

Edited by baerpath
  • Like 1