jzervas92

Looking for some engine advice

jzervas92

Hi all, my Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger (L-156) has been giving me a lot of trouble lately. When I got it I was told the current engine it has was off a Wheel Horse snow blower, and the model number is H60-75450L. It has been giving me a lot of start up trouble lately. I bought a new carburetor and spark plug for it and it was starting up no problem, I did notice it was running a little weak though. I was mowing the lawn when I hit a indent in the ground with one of the blades and the mower completely shut off while I was in third. I was able to get it started again but when I put the throttle up it would rev really high and shut off. Also if you tried to start it on full throttle it would make a strange pop (or puff) sound. I tried to attach a video of the sound hopefully it works. Its also shooting out black smoke and slit. I'm thinking I might of blown a head gasket. So I'm curious to hear everyones opinion about this. Should I get a new engine? If so what kind of engine should I get, and what size can I fit? Should I just try to rebuild the one I already have? I want to try to keep this tractor as original as I can, but it would also be nice if I could fit a 8hp engine in it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1604.MOV

jzervas92

Also here are some pictures of my little ranger. I don't know why they're coming in sideways but the first two pictures (with the new muffler and belt cover I made) are after some TLC, and the
last picture is when I brought it home.

IMG_1520.thumb.JPG.ae0939973df1e05ee5a8f

IMG_1512.JPG

20140613_133155.thumb.jpg.63b31828025131

Edited by jzervas92

pfrederi

Hard to say what the issue may be.  I would start with a leakdown test. That will cover head gasket, valves, rings.  If it passes that then it is carburation or ignition.

Edited by pfrederi

jzervas92

Thanks for the response pfrederi, I was actually thinking of just getting a rebuild kit first to see if that helps. You wouldn't happen to know where I can find a good engine rebuild kit? 

Racinbob

Ebay has rebuild kits for the H60. They are $80. I don't have a clue if that's a good price but it includes the piston, rod, rings, gaskets, etc. I'm thinking it would be best to pinpoint the problem before deciding to rebuild it. :)

Edited by Racinbob

jzervas92

It's the price you pay for having old stuff! Thanks racinbob, I was just curious to see what my options were. I'm stuck between fixing this engine or just buying a bigger newer one. Hopefully I'll have time to check it out this weekend. 

what did you put on it for new carburetor? is it adjusted properly?  is the fuel and fuel filter clean and not gumming up the carburetor?  is the governor adjusted and  working correctly?  is the new spark plug gapped correct?  does it have good spark? how is the compression? i would look into this stuff before rebuilding the motor

i just got down mowing the lawn with my Lawn Ranger with a H-60 and it ran flawlessly ...but i do admit it takes some work keeping it that way

you were mowing in 3rd gear?

jzervas92

The guy before me said it was very temperamental. I was mowing in third because my back yard is a step hill and sometimes the tires slide on the grass when going up in a lower gear. I'm gonna run a few tests soon. I just changed the fuel filter and fuel line, I even tried a little gas treatment just in case there was water in the gas. I'm pretty sure the carburetor needs to be tweaked a little bit, but the tractor does start up. It only runs on low throttle though. Also that weird pop sound seems like its coming from underneath the engine, on the left side if you are sitting on the tractor. I just put this spark plug on and I noticed the end is covered in black slit. I still have to check compression and the governor. I'll keep you guys updated on my findings. 

jzervas92

I tweaked the carburetor a little more. It still sounds a little low when on full throttle, but I noticed the throttle isn't coming all the way out I have to push it with my finger. I did buy a new cable. I have 60 pounds of compression, which I think is normal for a small engine right? I did buy another new spark plug since this one got burnt. Does anyone know the specs to properly gap the spark plug? I haven't put the new plug in yet but the tractor started right up and didn't die down on full throttle. I guess it just needed some time to rest. I'm probably going to open up the engine anyways to see what's going on.

Racinbob

If I'm remembering correctly your compression should be 80-120.

jzervas92

I think you're correct there, I did some research and that's what kept coming up. I might need to get the rebuild kit. 

pfrederi

Some models of H60s had ACR (Automatic compression release).  That will give you a bad compression reading.  I have heard that turning tehengine over backwards may give a more accurate compression reading if you have ACR.  I still think a leakdown is a much better test.