Sign in to follow this  
bubbacola

Onan running problem

bubbacola

I have a 416 wheel horse ... When I bought it it ran half choke full  throttle .. Had carb rebuild and new battery last fall for using it for snow throwing.. Ran ok still had to run with a little less then half choke to keep running but ran ok to do snow removal.. Spring time I got thrower off to use for pulling sprayer around.. My surprise it ran with out choke but was hard to start.. After running for 15 min. It started running rough like it was starting to run out of gas ( full tank) it ran like that  a little longer a stopped.. Tried to restart but battery was dead so I grab one of my other tractors and jumped it.. It stared right up and ran good about half way back to shed when start to run bad again and died as I got back to shed.. Charged battery for an hour and started it again started right up and ran good for about 15 minutes and again. Sounds like running out of gas so I put battery charger back on and it cleans right up runs good again... Hmmm put volt  meter  On with charger off  started at 12.58 in 5 minute it was 12.32 and starting to sound like it running out of gas. Plug charger in and it clears up.. Is it a charging problem or fuel problem or something else.. Thanks Bernie

boovuc

The first thing I would do is look at the fuse block on your tractor. Look for pitted, thinned or burned contacts on the fuses. Next.......check your ground and make sure your battery terminal posts are clean. Make sure your connections everywhere on the tractor are not loose and for extra measure, take them off and touch them up with an emery board and reconnect. Spray your connectors with contact cleaner. Lets eliminate the simple stuff first. You have a battery ignition so if it isn't charging correctly, you will get weak spark then no spark at all. Do the above and check back with us, Bubba.

• Like 1

bubbacola

Boo vac... That is what I'm going to do  today pull all  connections  And clean ..  I was thinking because of voltage drop it wasbattery charging system bad but a friend pointed out maybe it's dropping because it's charged ....                                Horseman..... We did a vacuum check before we pull the carburetor the first time. when I got the tractor it had to run full  throttle with choke. After rebuild it would run any speed but some choke ( this was in winter blowing snow)  now warn weather runs great no choke hard to start dies after 15/20 minutes of running like its out of gas starts right back up when charger is put on... I have replaced gas filter loosed gas cap when it starts acting up. new plugs, wires  but not the coil yet.. Thank guys for your input. I will retest for vacuum leak with propane this time and clean all  connections  and post   Results  thanks again.    Bernie 

bubbacola

Well after any hours of cleaning connections  running the motor testing with volt meter  we found it not to be charging because the guy who I got it from had done a little wiring ... On voltage regulater had red wire in center , two white wired on one side and a gray wire on the other... Wiring diagram shows a white wire on the two ends so we did that and BOOM it runs great. Charges 14.42 now starts right up and purrs like a kitten... Now if I can only find were the Gray wire goes

ericj

gray wire is for the tac, not used for the 416

eric j 

bubbacola

Erich thank you  we thought it was for tac so we didn't hook it up again.. This  tractor runs really good now . I was ready to part it out but I'll keep it now 

boovuc

Way to go! Glad it's running well again!