fast88pu

5053 transmission 3 speed fill ?

fast88pu

This may be a good or stupid question. But how do you fill it with oil ? The plug on the back left side is down too low for enough oil to get up to the wheel bearings. Any help would be great

Terry M

Good Question....That plug on the rear lower left side is the fill and level plug from what I know.    I believe what happens is when the trans is working/turning , oil is being "distributed" around internally by the gears spinning through the gear lube.

Edited by Terry M
  • Like 1

fast88pu

ok tank you. Think ill play it safe and over fill it

rmaynard

Fill it through the shifter hole. Your transmission requires 2 quarts of fluid and filling it by way of the plug on the side will leave you about 10 oz. shy.

Racinbob

I don't think it would be a good idea to over fill it. The upper gears, etc. depend on lube being 'splashed' on them' I discussed this with Stevasaurus a while back and he's actually seen the amount that gets tossed around. Overfilling could possibly limit the splashing effect. Filling as recommended will be just fine.

• Like 2

pfrederi

Unless it is really hot 90w gear oil and splashing are not words used together very often:).  It is heavy sticky stuff picked up by the gears and spread around....

Racinbob

I thought the very same thing Paul until I was proven wrong. I'm sure a lot is carried up but with the speed of some of the gears it creates an oil hurricane. :)

stevasaurus

If anyone does not believe that those gears throw oil...put the trans on a work bench with either an electric motor (I use a 1/3 hsp with a rheostat so the speed is close to correct)) or with a figure eighted fan belt off the drive pulley of another horse and look down the shifter hole with a flash light.  It is like it is raining in there and that is the only way the shift rail shafts and detente parts get oil.  :)

• Like 2

fast88pu

Makes sense then . Does anyone know the oe part # for the drive belt to a 68 lawn ranger or the size ? thanks

Racinbob

If anyone does not believe that those gears throw oil...put the trans on a work bench with either an electric motor (I use a 1/3 hsp with a rheostat so the speed is close to correct)) or with a figure eighted fan belt off the drive pulley of another horse and look down the shifter hole with a flash light.  It is like it is raining in there and that is the only way the shift rail shafts and detente parts get oil.  :)

​Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit by saying an 'oil hurricane'. A tropical storm? I think I've lived in Florida too long. :roll:

• Like 1

rmaynard

Two quarts is not overfilling it. Two quarts is the amount recommended by the people that manufactured the transmission. I tend to agree with Paul on this one. When the temperature of the outside air, as well as the 90-140 gear lube inside the transmission is at zero degrees or lower, I don't think there is a lot of slinging going on. Two quarts of oil insures that all critical parts are covered with adequate lube to keep it running.

Many transmissions that are not serviced regularly and are let out in the weather not only have two quarts of oil, but another pint or so of water. I have drained as much as 2-1/2 quarts of muck from a uni-drive only to have it perform flawlessly after flushing and refilling with the prescribed type and amount of oil.

As I said, I would pull the shifter, put in two quarts, install a new shifter boot and be done with it.

stevasaurus

Bob Maynard, I think you need to start to re-read what was said in these posts.  I was not going to fight with you over the 2 quart thing and the fill plug.  You are entitled to your opinion and I am tired of hearing it.  I was referring to fast88pu saying that he would just over fill it then and think he was safe... and Bob telling him not to do that, and why.  Completely different from what you were saying.  You seem to be looking for a conflict, not going to get one from me.  BTW, the transmissions that I were testing were done in the winter...the gears do throw oil.  Unless you think I am lying about that...check it out  :eusa-think:   If you want to know something...I have no proof that filling up a Uni-Drive all the way would be harmful...that is just my observation.

• Like 1

rmaynard

...You are entitled to your opinion and I am tired of hearing it... 

​Not looking for confrontation Steve. Just stating the facts as I see them. If you are tired of hearing my opinion, then by all means exercise your option to place me on your "ignore list".

• Like 1