DaleLicht

48" SD Model# 05-48MS03 pulley idler placement

DaleLicht

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!    :USA:

I am rebuilding my 48" Mower deck and am wondering which mounting hole to use when reinstalling the idler tension pulley? There are two holes; and outer and an inner and they are about 2 inches apart. I am also wondering how you know when a spindle bearing has worn out? The 3 blade spindles seem to move freely, but the center spindle pulley looks a little out of round when you spin it. I try to me a minimalist and not fix it if it aint broke. The deck was noisy when I disassembled it and the complete tension system and belt were broken and in need of replacement.
Thank you for your help....

scraper

Go to partstree.com and type in the model number for you're deck, you can the get a exploded view as to where the pulley goes. The spindles should have no play of any kind, and when you spin them the bearings should feel smooth an free. If the feel grainy or have a sandy feel to them the bearings should be replaced.

• Like 1

DaleLicht

Yes I have the diagram which indicates the idler pulley goes on the inner hole, but when I removed the pulley it was on the outer hole. I have switched them and tried the mower and the pulley system is fine and working as designed, but when I put it back on the tractor I am getting a noise from the deck like the blades are hitting something in the rotation. The spindles seem tight and move freely with no wobble. When I pull the deck off I cant find anything that looks worn or where it is hitting. Any suggestions on how to trace the knocking noise when the deck is off the tractor?  
Thank you, :eusa-think: 

cheesegrader

I had this problem when I cleaned up a deck that I got last year.
If the blades are hitting something, they will leave an obvious mark on the inside of the shell (like a baffle that is bent or no longer solid)
More likely, you have a loose blade, a blade that is out of balance, or a blade that has a stripped mounting hole.

• Like 1

cleat

My 42" deck was like that as well after a rebuild including adding a large stiffener plate similar to the 48" deck.

The stiffening plate slightly raised the idler assembly and it was hitting the belt guard with the mounting bolt in the idler pulley itself. I ground 1/8" or so off the top of the bolt and problem solved.

Cleat

• Like 1

DaleLicht

When I took the deck apart I inspected the deck for signs of a blade scrape, and couldn't find anything. I replaced all three blades with new ones and they are not loose, and the mounting holes are not stripped or damaged in any way. I will remove the guards and test the mower to see if they are the problem, but nothing has changed in regard to the height of the pulleys and this is the same issue I took it apart for.  The deck is solid but I will also look for a possible baffle that is moving when the deck is engaged. I am running out of options except to change the spindles one at a time to see if they are bent, but you would still see where the blade is hitting the housing. Any other suggestions?
Thank you,
:eusa-think: 

daveoman1966

Banging noise sources: 1) spindle shaft moving up / down in housing 2)Flat bar of idler pulley slopping back/forth or sideways in its stanchions...3)wobbling pulley 4) maybe the spindle belt isn't tight enough and it is banging around.  Here is a pic of what the 48" deck ought look like....note how far the spring is stretched, and how close the 4 1/2" idler pulley is to the end stanchion.  

If you need ANY parts for this deck...contact me at:
daveoman@windstream.net 

48.jpg

• Like 1

Don1977

Did you check the nylon bushings on the idler slide?

• Like 1

scraper

That is a good idea, check the plastic bushings on the slide like Don1977 said, there are 4 of them. They were worn out on my deck. Also, check the bearing on the idler tension pulley, make sure it has no play and is not loose. If it is worn that might be making some noise.

• Like 1

DaleLicht

When I rebuilt the deck, I replaced the nylon bushing for the idler pulley and everything is tight, isn't hitting and looks good there. There is no play in any of the spindle shafts unless it is only happening when engaged at high speeds. I am going to remove the pulley covers and inspect it while it is running from there. I should be able to tell where the noise is coming from by doing that. Thanks for the help and the pic.
Happy Memorial Day!!   :USA:

DaleLicht

Just an update, when I removed and inspected the deck from underneath, the center blade had about two inches of play in it before it engaged the pulley, I took it apart and found a broken spacer, and the center main pulley is worn down on the center wear it contacts the bearing. I am replacing it all and will let you know the outcome.
Thank you,

cleat

how did it turn out ?

Cleat

DaleLicht

Well Cleat, I am glad you asked. After I discovered the broken center spindle, I began the hunt for a new replacement one only to find that they are ridiculously expensive. In my search, I reached out to Daveoman1966, one of the previous Wheelhorseforum supporters that had helped me diagnose the problem and had written that he had replacement parts for that mower deck. Daveoman1966 had the Spindle that I needed at about half the price of a new one, so I purchased it and installed it in the deck. Unfortunately after it was installed I noticed a slight amount of play in the replacement spindle bearing which was unacceptable and I once again had to rip the deck apart. Daveoman1966 was apologetic and shipped a replacement spindle to me via 2day USPS. I finally installed the new spindle and put the mower deck back on my Wheelhorse and have been cutting the lawn happily ever after.....the End.     

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread. I really appreciate it:text-thankyoublue:

• Like 1