callum12

best way to fix pulley to shaft

callum12

hi all,
i'm sure most will be aware of my project (agri-800) and for this i will have a countershaft between the engine and the transmission to allow the twist in the belt. I will need two pulleys on this counter shaft, one to accept the twist from the motor and another to transfer the power to the transmission ( there is a diagram on my agri-800 post under restorations modifications and customisations. don't want to waste space by uploading it twice :) ). anyway, these pulleys are going to have all 10HP on them and I intend the tractor to be heavy duty once the project is complete ground engagement etc. if I was to use a full length keyway in the shaft i would be able to slide the pulleys along the shaft to get the best belt alignment, some pulleys don't have a keyway just a grub screw which goes into the keyway on the shaft. would this be strong enough?? the only pulleys i can readily find are that type and keyed pulleys but with no set screw to hold it in place. I know that tapered keys can be used which are drifted into place to hold the pulley to the shaft (my lister d uses tapered keys on the flywheel) but these are a pain to remove so i want to avoid these if possible. 

so basically if i haven't lost you already, I'm asking if a grub screwed pulley on a keyway is heavy duty enough? and if not what other methods of attaching pulleys to a shaft are there? 
thank you very much,
Callum
( P.S: if anyone knows of somewhere in the UK where i can readily buy keyed shaft and keyed pulleys WITH a set screw to hold it in place this will solve my issues :) )

JAinVA

I seriously doubt that a set screw alone will handle 10 horsepower.You will most likely just chew up the shaft.If you decide to go that route then drill a pocket for the set screw
to land in.Most fractional horsepower electric moters have a keyway or at least a flat.All small gas engines have a keyway unless they use a taper and lock bolt to handle  the
torque.It is your choice but I for one would only use keyed pulleys.Luck,Jim inVA

meadowfield

Use taperlock, there is no grub screw. 

callum12

ah yes, tapper lock completely forgot about those. when I'm looking at the taper bushing and pulleys they all have a 4 digit numbers such as 2012, is that the size of taper that needs to be matched when buying the pulley? also are keyways and key sizes standardised?
thanks for you help,
callum

ranger

You could try Go Kart racing dealers etc, I think the back axles have long keyways cut in them.
Doug.

ranger

These pulleys are on one of my flail mowers, no keys anywhere, 11hp Honda engine.
they work by the bolts forcing internal and external tapers together and clamping by allowing the slit to close up.
Doug.

P1020021.JPG

P1020022.JPG

P1020023.JPG

P1020024.JPG

P1020026.JPG

Edited by ranger

JAinVA

Ranger,
       That is one of the few QD bushings I've seen with no key way.I know McMaster-Carr lists them but all the ones I have worked with were keyed.I assume the Honda engine has a keyed shaft.I forgot about taper locks when I replied but I still would'nt depend solely on a set screw to handle 10 horses.

ranger

Ranger,
       That is one of the few QD bushings I've seen with no key way.I know McMaster-Carr lists them but all the ones I have worked with were keyed.I assume the Honda engine has a keyed shaft.I forgot about taper locks when I replied but I still would'nt depend solely on a set screw to handle 10 horses.

​The Honda crankshaft is keyed, this pulley transmits the drive from the countershaft down to the flail rotor, I imagine there is no key to provide a chance for the pulley to slip if the rotor suddenly stops on fouling something.

callum12

thanks all, I'm going to use taper locks with a key after all the project is Agri-800 its all about heavy dutyifiying an A-800!
I will have a look at go-kart bits, I had a look for keyed shaft again and the only place the sold it was a place called 'poultry supplies'! i think is was for a grain dispenser or something. 
thanks again,
callum