mwhod

hydraulic lift question

mwhod

I need the advice of someone with a wheelhorse who can help me with a hydraulic question.  i have a c160 hydro with hydraulic lift. Right behind where one of the lines from the lift valve hooks up on top of the pump there is an adjustment of some sort, it has what looks like a roll pin crossways of the threaded piece that turns,  My question is , is that an adjustment for the lift pressure and if so does turning it clockwise increase the pressure,  thanks for any help im far from an expert

mike

Ed Kennell

That is the bypass relief valve to permit moving of the tractor w/o the engine running.  Never push or tow the tractor with this closed.

There should be a decal nearby showing      open to tow   and close to operate

Edited by ekennell

Ed Kennell

Oh, BTW        welcome to :rs:

mwhod

thanks bud for the reply, much appreciated

mwhod

i went back out and looked at the tractor, it has a label that says turn valve 1 turn with a screw driver to open to roll tractor, but there is no valve there.  I have a c120 that has the same label and it has the valve with the screw driver slot which allows the tractor to roll , but the 160 doesnt have the valve but it has the same label.  the thing i was talking about on top of the pump it does nothing when you turn it in either direction, there is no resistance, it doesnt go up or down when turned, .  the valve on the 120 is in line with the label pointing toward the front of the tractor, but the 160 doesnt have it, even though it has the same label in the same place. does that many any sense to you.

KC9KAS

Does this look like your tow valve? You realize this IS NOT on the tractor, and you do not (should not) need to use a wrench to turn the tow valve.
post-1200-0-73286200-1422943354_thumb.jp

Ed Kennell

A previous owner probably removed the Sundstrand #90-1140 transaxle with the screw driver slot tow valve in the left front and installed a Sundstrand #90-2046 transaxle with the 1/4 turn tow valve on top of the tranny.

mwhod

the thing you have the wrench on is what i have on top of what i think is the pump it looks different than yours, but it is exactly like that, but like i said before it does nothing doesnt go up or down, there is no resistance no closing or opening as for the tractor goes it runs fine and the lift has been working ok but i had a leak and im rebuilding the lift valve, and my concern was if there was an adjustment on the lift valve to control the pressure, i wanted to make sure the lift valve wasnt getting too much pressure, but i dont see a way to do that. Its begining to look like the rear end had been changed on this tractor, because according to the label on the side it should have a valve with a screw driver slot to turn one turn to roll the tractor and it dont have that, so i can only assume that the pressure on the lift valve is regulated by the pump that drives it, does any of this make any sense, thanks for your reply

mwhod

when i said it didnt do anything i didnt turn the nut, i just turned the inner piece with the pin in it, but nothing happens

Ed Kennell

If it is a Sundstrand 90-2046  when the pin is in line with the axle, the valve is closed and the tractor should operate normally.  When you turn it 1/4 turn so the pin is perpendicular to the axle, the valve is open and you can tow or push the tractor, but it will not operate with the engine.

mwhod

thank you ed you made my day

mwhod

i have had wheelhorse tractors for years but im not an expert on some of the stuff, i have done a lot but never had to do anything with hydraulices, i have had as many as 4 at one time and have three now, i even made two of them diesels, i have 2 75's and 1 76  two are hydros and one stick. these tractors are hard to be. The last one i bought i paid 75 dollars for the tractor, tiller which look like new, new blade, harrow, and mowing deck, carried it home and put a condenser on it and it ran, been sitting for 5 years under a shed, i love these tractors, thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.