Save Old Iron

Pitfalls of inexpensive multimeters

Save Old Iron

What happens to an inexpensive (or free) multimeter when you hook it up to measure higher voltages and you have the meter on the wrong measurement function?

Fast forward to 5:11 on the video and find out. Also note the same test is being performed on a Fluke multimeter as the speaker is holding it in his hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEoazQ1zuUM

• Like 3

JPWH

Anybody who uses a multimeter should learn what the cat rating means before use. There would be less injuries due to incorrect use. Good video.

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

I would say for use in a low voltage / low power scenario, the cheapies are no problem. Will they be damaged if used on the wrong function (measuring voltage on the ohms scale)? Yes. They will not explode and catch fire if you are just measuring 12 volt or 24 volt battery circuits. I would not measure any "mains" i.e AC wall socket 120 or 220 VAC circuits with them.

• Like 1

JPWH

Cat ll should be a min for residential wiring. Any measurement on external source wiring should be done with cat lV. Its safer to use the right tool for the job and electrical testing is not the time to improvise. I happen to be one of the lucky ones that seen 480 volts explode  and lived.

Coadster32

wow...thanks for putting that out there. Hasn't happened to me yet, but will be more cautious going forward. I use a $60 radio shack meter. (not the best, or the worst).

wallfish

OUCH, that'll hurt if holding it!
BUT, on the bright side it's only $6 for fireworks!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Anybody who uses a multimeter should learn what the cat rating means before use. There would be less injuries due to incorrect use. Good video.

​The cheapo meters are CAT rated for the voltage that they blew it up with, its a matter of buying from a manufacture that can back up their claims responsibly (with UL or CE ratings and the test data to prove it) when your life depends on it (medium and HV line like 120v+).

I use a couple no-name meters at home for stuff (though I will soon be replacing them) like tractors and cars but at work its all high dollar fluke and equivalent!

• Like 1

Coadster32

OUCH, that'll hurt if holding it!
BUT, on the bright side it's only $6 for fireworks!

​AAHHH...the silver lining.