davedean

gears do not engage when shifting

davedean

After tilling up my garden using my 312-8, I noticed that It would not move after shifting into ANY gear. But by chance I happened to pull up on the shifter and she went into gear.Before this happened, a couple of times the tiller pushed the tractor forward, but I don't think she went too far (I was working the clutch to get a slower forward motion to let the tiller to dig deeper). I read the thread about the fellow that had the shifter come completely out of the gear box. Could it be that the allen set screw came loose (I hope) of is it something more serious? Thanks for your comments.

Dave

Lane Ranger

Sounds like shifter has come loose from the set screw -or sometimes the shifter ball gets worn  and limits  ability to shift into some gears.    The set screw has a allen head on it and is difficult to reach .  A longer allen wrench can do it though.

Racinbob

That's the first thing I'd check Dave. If that's all it is the fix is simple.

stevasaurus

The shifter would feel really sloppy if the set screw is loose.  I am thinking it popped out of low range on you while tilling.  Move it between hi and low a few times and see if any thing does not feel right.  :)

• Like 1

wrightorchid

Can somebody post a pic or diagram where this located?  Do you have to take the seat sheet metal off?

stevasaurus

Don't know which horse you have wrightorchid, but you may not have to take any sheet metal off.  The set screw is under your shifter boot.  I find that taking off the seat and fenders give me a little more room.  You can come at the set screw from under the horse with a long 1/8" allan wrench.  Click on this link to see a thread with pictures...:)

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/16582-help-my-shift-lever-pulled-out/

• Like 1