MalMac

Gas smell

MalMac

On one of my black hoods you can always smell gas after the tractor sits overnight or a few hours after use. It's never a fresh gas smell like a leak. It's more of a spent gas vapor smell. I have checke forwards and backswards for any leakes or seapage. There is nothing. All I know is it stinks. You can really only smell it when you get close to the tractor. Sure got me baffled never had one do this before, oh I have had them with leaks before but not this.

buckrancher

this may be far fetched but it's possible that your fuel pump is leaking a little gas in to the motor oil and your smell is coming from the vent in the valve cover?

also is the float height correct in the carburetor?

Brian

• Like 1

squonk

Check the entire length of your gas line too by squeezing it. If there is a soft spot it can leak gas out slow. It won't leave a puddle because the gas will evaporate but look for something stained.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Bet my wife could find it.  ThatSmell.jpg

• Like 3

squonk

You got one of those too? :) My wife can smell a can of Berrymans carb cleaner a block away!  :)

Coadster32

Check the entire length of your gas line too by squeezing it. If there is a soft spot it can leak gas out slow. It won't leave a puddle because the gas will evaporate but look for something stained.

Easy to check, and cheap to replace. (I'd start here.)

I did have a pump diaphragm rupture once as well...you might smell it in the oil if you remove the oil filler and take a good wiff. Also the oil will be thin and full to overfull. I bypassed my pump in a round hood and gravity fed w/o issue. 

MalMac

It's got a new fuel line, fuel pump, rubber tank insert. No gas in the oil. Starting to think it might be a float problem. Other than that I don't know what else it would be.

Racinbob

I was leaning towards the leakage from the fuel pump into the oil based on the smell you mentioned. I would think a float issue that severe would cause it not to run properly but maybe not. I'm befuzzled so I'd agree, check the float. :scratchead: