Ponder

Newer 2002 315-8. Any real differences?

Ponder

Is there any real differences between the newer 315-8 and the older 316 or 318? I did notice one difference is the electric switch to pull in the mower deck. Better? Worse? Any other differences? I am considering a 2002 315-8 with bagger and only 229 hours on the clock. Thanks to all.

Racinbob

As far as functionally there's not really much difference. I prefer the manual PTO clutch over the electric but that's just me. Between the K-Series, Magnum and Command, they are all great motors. All the attachments are the same. 229 hours is low so if it's a good deal I wouldn't hesitate. :)

doc724

I don't think WH ever made a 316 or 318.  Biggest 300 series was 314.  With that out of the way, the 315 is a Kohler Command Pro engine, aluminum block, full oil pressure with a spin on filter and solenoid shutoff on the carb for emissions.  The previous Kohlers were the Magnum series, all cast iron and splash lube (unless you had a twin which were full pressure lube-but they were not available in the 300 series machines).  The 315-8 machines have a lot of safety switches (can only start in neutral, and brake must be off before you put it into gear) that the older machines did not.  The electric PTO clutch is nice, I have it on my 520xi. 

I have had both flavors of 314-8 with Command Pro and Magnum engine. The only negative I have seen is that my Command motor has an oil leak at the engine cover (PTO side) because Kohler tried to save a few pennies and eliminated a  gasket in favor of a form in place gasket.

Ponder

Do you think $800 and a 3.5 hr drive is a good deal?

Ponder

I have a 416-8 now. Caught the bug, want another. I am debating over this 315-8 and a nice 520h for $1200. The 520 of course has more hours (600).

Racinbob

Do you think $800 and a 3.5 hr drive is a good deal?

Well, without seeing it it's hard to say. Some people can really mess a machine up in 229 hours. If it's clean and runs the way it should I'd say that's a good price.

Racinbob

Doc's right on no 316 or 318. The 300 series had differences through the years. Some had 6" front wheels, some 8", etc. Later on Toro only had one model (of the design we're discussing) and called it a 315-8 and then a Classic GT but the brochure called them a 300 series. I would think they would more accurately be called a 400 series.

Ponder

Right about the 300 series. I remember a 310,312 and 314 if my memory serves me correctly.

You guys may help me out on this, Back in the 80's, I remember going to my loal WH dealer and absolutely druling over a new 520HC.

Being my wife and I were expecting our daughter, I knew there was no way I could afford $5600 for a mower. Here is my question, since that day I cannot ever remember seeing 520hc on any WH hood. You guys know anything about this? Was it a rare model?

Forest Road

Id take a single cylinder Kohler any day of the week over an Onan. Assuming both machines are equally well cared for. The 315-8 would be my choice.

Onans have a well documented history of blowing valve seats. They're also extremely expensive to rebuild.

Unless you plan on using a 60" mower deck or a 2 stage snow blower there's no reason to even think about a 520.

Only problem with the 315 as previously mentioned are those pesky safety switches. There was a magnetic one mounted on the shifter for sensing neutral. It fell off. Or broke. Drove me nuts. Well now you're aware of it. Should take you 5 minutes to figure it out!

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racinbob

Add to that the fact that the shifter is spring loaded. Let's not forget the key switch on the side of the seat that has to be activated in order to mow in reverse. I don't know what year they started that. :bitch:

shallowwatersailor

All of the 315-8 had the key switch for mowing in reverse. My 2000 520xi has it but the two 1998 5xi don't.